UW repurposes food

garden_SB
Tools await use at a university garden. Some UW produce will go to food pantries this fall.[/media-credit]

University of Wisconsin agricultural research stations that conduct research and testing on a variety of vegetables will be sending their food surpluses to local food banks and other food redistributors as the weather gets colder.

According to Judy Rozelle, superintendent at the West Madison Research Station, her group is working on a research project based on watermelons. They are testing whether small watermelons, seedless watermelons or other varieties have better production rates.

She said the new varieties of watermelon will not hit any supermarket shelves in the near future, so they will be sent to Dane County food distributors through which the produce can reach those in need. Vegetables sent this year include super-sweet watermelons and multicolored cabbages.

“The West Madison station has been working with the Second Harvest Foodbank to distribute this surplus,” Rozelle said.

According to Rozelle, Second Harvest Foodbank is a charitable organization based in southern Wisconsin that mainly receives produce surplus and other unsellable food products that might otherwise go to waste. The food is then distributed to over 400 agencies, including food pantries and shelters.

At the Arlington Agricultural Research Station, chemical evaluation trials are done, such as testing the safety or effectiveness of insecticides. Similarly, their edible surplus produce is then sent to food banks.

Funding is obtained through various venues for different stations. Rozelle said the projects at the West Madison station are mainly carried out by volunteers, while Scott Chapman of the Arlington station said the funding for their chemical evaluation projects are usually received from industries that support their research.

As for how the stations get supplies, Rozelle said the West Madison station mainly receives seed donations from various seed companies.

Julie Luke, associate director of Dining and Culinary Service for University Housing, said campus cafeterias also work mainly with Second Harvest Foodbank, distributing the leftovers from the various cafeterias to food pantries and soup kitchens so local low-income families can benefit from the surplus.

Some of the food will also serve as meals for employees.

Luke said campus cafeterias mainly get their produce from a variety of sources, including the U.S. Foodservice, and more than 30 other smaller vendors.

The cafeterias get as much local produce as possible, and some of the produce comes from the teaching gardens on campus. Luke said despite the current economy, the cafeterias have not had to change their policies on food or disposal much at all in the past 25 years she has worked for the division.

Both Rozelle and Chapman said it is mostly the low-income families in Dane County and the city of Madison that benefit from the surpluses from the two agricultural research stations.