Sheridan moves to create committee for Wood’s expulsion

The Speaker of the Assembly is now moving the process forward to form a committee which will consider the expulsion of Rep. Jeff Wood, I-Chippewa Falls, who was arrested Wednesday for the fifth time under suspicion of operating a vehicle while under the influence.

According to Becky Sweeney, spokesperson for Speaker Mike Sheridan, D-Janesville, Sheridan met with Assembly Minority Leader Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon, to start work on the creation of the Special Committee on Ethics and Standards, which will consider Wood’s fate in the state’s Legislature.

“At this point, the Speaker (of the Assembly) is conferring with the Minority Leader on membership for committee, and then we will determine how to move forward,” Sweeney said.

Wood was arrested in Tomah at approximately 4:30 p.m. Wednesday when a citizen saw him driving erratically and contacted police.

Sweeney also said the chair of the Special Committee will ultimately set up the public meetings and make recommendations as to whether or not Wood should be removed from office.

Sweeney added it is still unclear as to whether or not the expulsion measure will come before the floor by the end of this legislative session Nov. 5. She said the main focus for Sheridan right now is the formation of the committee, and they will consider the matter as information becomes available.

The committee will consist of three members of the majority party and three members of the minority party, said Nathan Berken, spokesperson for Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater.

Berken said Nass, who introduced the expulsion measure Oct. 14 after Wood’s fourth arrest Sept. 23 for suspicion of operating a vehicle while under the influence of anti-anxiety drug Lorazepam and two doses of nighttime cough syrup, was going to request a meeting with Sheridan to push for a more rapid formation of the committee.

However, after Sheridan released a statement saying he is moving forward, Berken said Nass thinks the request unnecessary.

In a statement released Thursday, Fitzgerald called upon Wood to resign his office and avoid the expulsion process.

“Resigning now will allow him the opportunity to completely immerse himself in the alcohol and controlled substance rehabilitation that he desperately needs,” Fitzgerald said in a statement.

Wood’s office could not be reached for comment.