State furloughs hit departments

Monday marked a mandatory furlough day for hundreds of state employees and agencies in Wisconsin.

Gov. Jim Doyle signed an executive order in June requiring all state employees to either take eight unpaid days of leave or return pay for eight days worth of work per year in an effort to help close the massive budget deficit. Agencies closed Monday included the Department of Transportation and the Government Accountability Board.

Andrew Reschovsky, professor of public affairs and applied economics at the La Follette Institute of Public Affairs, said the savings accrued by the furloughs are not very significant.

“One proposed small way to save money was by reducing salaries they pay state employees,” Reschovsky said. “The savings aren’t quite as big as one might imagine because state employees have smaller income and some tax exemptions.”

Reschovsky said the furloughs do cause some inconvenience for residents, who may wish to renew a license or apply for food stamps. He added some state employees, like university professors, will end up doing work despite being on furlough.

Rep. Kelda Helen Roys, D-Madison, said some predicted problems with furloughs have come to pass, like the use of overtime pay to help back-fill voids. She said she proposed “Smart Furlough” legislation — which has yet to hit the Assembly floor — to help streamline the furlough system.

Under Smart Furlough, employees would only take furlough when it results in a direct savings to the state, Roys said.

Rep. Robin Vos, R-Racine, a member of Joint Finance Committee, said he thinks the furloughs are a great example of how the state can responsibly cut costs.

“I think the furloughs are a simple way to makes sure everyone tries to solve budget deficit,” Vos said. “The vast majority of people don’t realize some offices are closed, which shows how much excess government we have.”

Vos also said he is giving back part of his salary to the state as a part of the furlough program.

In regard to Roys’ bill, Vos said the Democrat is only proposing it because she represents a huge number of state employees in her district.