Doyle submits Wisconsin’s high-speed rail application

Gov. Jim Doyle submitted the state’s application Friday for funding to build a high-speed passenger railline connecting Madison to Milwaukee.

According to a statement released by Doyle’s office, the state applied to the Federal Railroad Administration’s High-Speed Intercity Passenger Rail Program for funding to develop a Milwaukee-to-Madison high-speed rail project.

“I have long believed that passenger rail is the missing link in our national transportation policy and bringing passenger rail service to this area will create high-skilled jobs, spur economic growth and make travel safe and comfortable,” Doyle said in a statement.

The project would create nearly 13,000 jobs by 2013 and reduce fuel emissions and congestion, save millions of gallons of fuel and improve regional connectivity over the next decade, according to the statement.

The projected start time listed on the application form is Jan. 1, 2010 and the deadline is listed as late 2015. Adjusting for inflation and other costs, the requested funding on the application totals $817.6 million.

As well as depots in Milwaukee and Madison, the rail corridor described in the application lists Oconomowoc, Watertown and Brookfield as other stops along the rail. This rail project is part of the Midwest Regional Rail Initiative, which makes Chicago a hub with service to Milwaukee, St. Louis and Detroit.

Chris Klein, spokesperson for the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, said the state expects to hear whether or not their application was approved by the end of the year. He added the state will start the projects immediately after receiving the funding.

Klein also said the state may purchase the cars for the Milwaukee-Madison line from the Spanish train manufacturer Talgo, which recently supplied two new train sets on the Milwaukee-Chicago line, but said the state will hear competitive proposals from other manufacturers as well.

“We will do whatever the federal rules tell us to do in regards to rail car purchasing,” Klein said.

Klein added the application assumes the Madison depot on the line would be Dane County Airport, but said is not restricted to that location. He said there is still discussion on whether to move the depot closer to downtown or keep it at the airport.

Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, said he is very supportive of implementing a high-speed passenger rail to connect Madison and Milwaukee.

“It is long past time this country has a viable passenger rail network,” Black said. “The U.S. is the only industrialized nation without rail transportation.”

Black said the Legislature put money aside for high-speed rail project planning 16 years ago in the state budget and got $53 million approved for the planning which enabled the application.

He added the fact Wisconsin has a lot of competition for the funding shows the need for more available federal funding for high-speed rail projects.

Kristin Ruesch, spokesperson for the Republican Party of Wisconsin, said her party is primarily concerned about the rail project’s cost burden on taxpayers. She said there will be ongoing costs associated with the project and the subsidies are unknown.