Small fire clears eatery

Harvest_BB
Harvest Restaurant suffered no damage in a fire early Sunday morning. Three fire engines, a car and and an ambulance responded to the 911 call.[/media-credit]

The Madison Fire Department responded to a small fire at Harvest Restaurant on the Capitol Square early Sunday morning.

According to Eric Dahl, the Madison Fire Department public information officer, a fire call was made at 12:49 a.m. Sunday morning.

“The first unit arrived and saw some smoke through the window, and they found some material that was smoldering,” Dahl said.

The smoldering material at the 21 N. Pinckney St. restaurant was a basket, which the fire department removed and extinguished, he said.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation and the restaurant did not suffer any structural damage. No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.

Three fire engines, the chief’s car and an ambulance arrived on the scene after the call.

Dahl said this type of response is typical for this situation. In any structural fire, three engines, the chief’s car and an ambulance will arrive on the scene.

According to Dahl, the response to Harvest Restaurant relates to how the 911 Center treats fire calls.

“When [the call center] goes through questioning the caller to see what the fire is, typically if they see or smell smoke they will consider it a structural fire,” Dahl said.

If a fire alarm is triggered without any smoke reported, the typical response is one fire engine, he added. The report did not mention whether an alarm sounded or not.

Dahl said the report from the incident did not indicate any details of the evacuation of the building during the fire call.

Since the report of the incident did not include details of any evacuation, it is not known whether Harvest Restaurant was open during the fire call.

A representative from Harvest Restaurant was unavailable for comment as of press time.

More information would most likely be available sometime Monday, Dahl said.