UW Energy Hub kicks off 2009-10 academic year

With acquiring clean energy one of the largest problems facing the world today, UW’s Energy Hub student organization is seeking to raise awareness on campus — and they’re taking it seriously.

“This is a general education thing — this is energy, everybody needs to know about it,” graduate student and Energy Hub member David Donovan said.

The group’s kickoff meeting Thursday night introduced potential members to the importance of eHub’s presence on campus by describing its goals and having keynote speakers discuss prominent issues in energy today.

“We are in a very unique time in history,” said Dane Morgan, assistant professor in the Materials Science and Engineering Department, in his speech describing the level of uncertainty in energy problems today.

Both Morgan and Commissioner Lauren Azar of the Public Service Commission addressed the inevitability of dramatic transformations in response to energy crises, even here in Wisconsin.

Azar said 60 to 70 percent of Wisconsin energy is currently supplied by coal plants. Imminent legislation regarding the reduction of carbon dioxide emission by 80 percent by the year 2050 presents a large problem for the state, according to Azar.

“It’s scary, but it’s damn exciting right now,” Azar said.

In the midst of these heavy topics, both speakers emphasized the importance of student awareness and involvement. That’s where eHub comes in.

Energy Hub promotes what members call “Energy Literacy,” which empowers and educates students about energy. President Corey Singletary described the organization’s goal as not one of advocacy but of awareness.

The group aims to raise energy awareness by broadening students’ understanding of energy and connecting them to its many issues.

Through collaborative efforts with other student organizations and We Conserve, the event featured renewable energy demonstrations, according to Singletary.

A common duo, eHub often works closely with We Conserve, which continues to make progress toward its energy goals.

“We are almost three-quarters of the way towards our 20 percent goal of reducing energy consumption and environmental footprint by year 2010,” said Faramarz Vakilizadeh, We Conserve program director.

UW has become a leader in many areas of energy efficiency in the past several years, according to Vakilizadeh.

Continually working toward a similar goal, eHub holds an all-day Energy Hub Conference devoted to educating students, staff and others about energy. As their largest event of the year, eHub puts most of its time and effort into the annual Energy Hub Conference, Singletary said. Through collaborative efforts and serious dedication to their cause, eHub wants to raise awareness to all students.

“We are in a special time in terms of opportunity for energy, and young people have an opportunity to make a large impact,” Morgan said.