Students commemorate Sept. 11

MemorialFILE_BC
UW students will gather on Bascom Hill to remember the tragedy of Sept. 11 tonight at 7:30 p.m.[/media-credit]

Eight years after the coordinated hijacking and crashing of four American passenger planes, the University of Wisconsin and surrounding communities are coming together in remembrance of the 2,993 people lost in the Sept. 11 attacks.

Memorials on campus will be centered on Bascom Hill, where the day will culminate in a program at 7:30 p.m. hosted by College Democrats and College Republicans.

“We’re extremely ex-cited to be working with College Democrats,” said Crystal Lee, president of College Republicans. “We want students to not just think it’s another Friday on campus; we want them to step back when they see the memorial and remember all those lives lost on 9/11.”

According to College Democrats Chair Molly Rivera, the program will include a singing of the national anthem, introductory remarks by Rivera and Lee, a prayer and a moment silence, as well as a candlelight vigil.

“We aren’t always so divided that we can’t come together for stuff like this. [Sept. 11] shows there are events in our country that go beyond politics,” Rivera said.

Work for both clubs began at 5 a.m. today when they met on Bascom Hill to fix 2,993 flags into the ground – once for each life lost. The flags will stand until the memorial service tonight, which is open to all students and community members.

Lee said events like this will be happening on college campuses all over the country today. While the event has not always been co-hosted with College Democrats, she said she hopes the partnership continues in the future.

Other campus organizations have also been gearing up for individual memorial events. The Sigma Chi fraternity will be hosting its first annual charity BBQ in remembrance of Kevin Clearly, a former president of the chapter who worked on the 84th floor of Tower 2 of the World Trade Center.

The event runs from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the fraternity’s house, 221 Langdon St., and all proceeds will go to the Families of Freedom Scholarship Fund.

“We are so proud to be able to work with this wonderful organization. When we decided to hold this event, we were looking for an organization that college students could connect with and the Families of Freedom is a perfect match,” said Jake Langbecker, vice president of Sigma Chi, in a statement emailed to the Herald.

While multiple services will occur around Madison today, the Madison Police and Fire departments will host a morning-long session that will follow the minute-by-minute events of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Sirens will sound at 8:40, 9:03, 9:40 and 10:10 a.m. to commemorate the crash of each of the four planes. At 10:28, a siren will sound and Monona Terrace’s flags will be lowered to signify the collapse of the second tower.

“Everyone alike will be working together to remember those lives that were tragically lost,” Rivera said. “We’re just getting together and celebrating the United States.”