Alders hold office hours

The three new downtown-area alders are hosting “alder hours” to engage the community and listen to their constituents’ concerns and questions.

Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8, said he is hosting alder hours twice a week through the fall semester. He will be at Memorial Union in the Lakefront on Langdon room every Monday from 10 to 11 a.m. In addition, Eagon said he can be found at Gordon Commons Thursdays from 1 to 2 p.m.

“Alder hours are a great way to hear from students and hear their concerns,” Eagon said. “Being open and accessible was one of the pledges I made during the [City Council] campaign, and these alder hours are a great way to stay in tune with constituents.”

The locations were chosen due to their high profile and the number of students who frequent them, Eagon added.

Eagon also said he plans to invite other alders and Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz to some of the alder sessions.

Ald. Shiva Bidar-Sielaff, District 5, said she will host hours at a coffee shop located in her district on one Sunday each month starting in January, as she wants to focus more on budget issues this semester.

Bidar-Sielaff also took part in a “walk-about” Sept. 3, an activity in which she joined Madison Police Department officers and members of her district and talked with her student constituents in the area to address concerns of the area and answer questions.

“The walk-about was great,” Bidar-Sielaff said. “It was a good interaction for everyone.”

Bidar-Sielaff said a significant amount of students asked questions regarding policies for game day. The police educated the students on what to expect regarding noise violations and other citations.

In addition to Bidar-Sielaff and police officers, long-time residents of the neighborhood also participated in the walk-about. The residents wanted to clue in students as to whom was in their neighborhood, Bidar-Sielaff said.

The other new alder, Ald. Bridget Maniaci, District 2, said she has been hosting alder hours since June at varying times at Company of Thieves on Johnson Street.

“I think [alder hours] are a great opportunity for people to come in and talk face to face,” Maniaci said. “It’s a good opportunity to let people know that we are out there for them.”

Maniaci added these hours are beneficial because it affords the opportunity to talk extensively about an issue, and sometimes this can’t be accomplished by a phone call or an email.

Maniaci also said she has been visible at various community functions, such as parades and block parties since the start of her term.

All three alders are in their first term serving on the City Council after their victories in the spring elections. Eagon won against fellow University of Wisconsin student Mark Woulf, and Maniaci came out the victor against four-term incumbent Brenda Konkel.