Milwaukee, Carroll collaborate engineering degrees

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Carroll University will be combining forces to create a new opportunity in engineering.

The private university in Waukesha has never before offered a degree in engineering until now, which aims towards students in the applied physics program.

After students at Carroll receive their bachelor’s degree, they are then able to attend UW-Milwaukee for either their second Bachelor of Science or Master of Science degree in engineering, according to a statement from Carroll.

This means students would be at Carroll for their first three years and then spend two years at UW-Milwaukee working toward a second bachelor’s degree or master’s.

“Carroll [University] is a smaller, private, liberal arts school, so you have smaller class size,” said Michael Lovell, dean of UW-Milwaukee’s College of Engineering and Applied Science. “You would get the benefit of having a more well-rounded liberal arts based background before coming into a bigger university.”

UW-Milwaukee students will not be affected since they already have an engineering program in place and only about eight additional students would come into the university from Carroll, according to Lovell.

The program came from collaboration between Carroll President Douglas N. Hastad as well as UW-Milwaukee Provost Rita Cheng and Chancellor Carlos Santiago, Lovell said. UW-Milwaukee currently has a similar collaboration with Milwaukee Area Technical College, but this is the first dual-degree with Carroll, which Lovell said he hopes will be the first of many between the two colleges.

“Waukesha County business leaders have been telling us for some time that workers with engineering degrees are a critical need in the county,” Hastad said in a press release. “We are honored to have [UW-Milwaukee] as our partner in this project to promote regional economic growth.”

According to Lovell, the Waukesha region has been the fastest growing in the Milwaukee area and this new program will provide more students more opportunities.

“Improving access to engineering degrees will enhance our local economy by filling the state’s workforce needs,” Lovell said in a statement.

UW-Madison also has a similar engineering relationship with Madison Area Technical College.