Local bars face punishments

Some local bars have come under close scrutiny following complaints filed by the Madison Police Department.

The Kollege Klub, in response to concerns of underage drinking and violence outside the bar, struck a deal with the city’s Alcohol License Review Committee to have their liquor license suspended from Dec. 13, 2009 to Jan. 11, 2010.

In addition, the Kollege Klub, located on the corner of Lake and Langdon streets, must operate under certain conditions which include the purchase of black lights for the detection of fake IDs, having bar staff confiscate fake IDs, increasing training for staff on liquor laws and being more proactive in calling police for violent incidents.

The suspension and conditions of the Kollege Klub were to be finalized at the city council meeting this week.

Kollege Klub owner Bruce Meier declined to comment on the suspension.

Henry Street bar Ram Head received a similar month-long suspension for the month of July, as well as stricter sanctions on its liquor license. But following the end of the bar’s suspension, Ram Head owner Richard Lyshek decided to permanently close the establishment.

“It’s a sad time, because [Ram Head] was one of the only bars offering live music,” Lyshek said.

Lyshek added the decision not to reopen the bar relates to changing student drinking habits and an increased focus on University Avenue bars.

“It’s just a lot of changing demographics,” Lyshek said. “More and more housing is being shoehorned out of the downtown.”

Lyshek said he believes MPD is responsible for shifting student drinking habits, saying an increased police presence in downtown bars have driven students to more clandestine drinking locations like house parties.

“I am really collateral damage of the police’s assault on the students,” Lyshek said. “There has been drunken college students in the area for over 100 years. Something else has changed, and the city has put its blinders on.”

Sgt. Anthony Fiore of the MPD said the police enforcement has been continuous, and there are only eight or nine officers patrolling a large space downtown.

In addition, tavern enforcement accounts for only 20 percent of the time spent on duty for these officers, with the other 80 percent relating to other enforcement issues.

“We are a team that is meant to be proactive in addressing problems,” Fiore said. “A portion of our time should spent making sure taverns are being run safely.”

Fiore added the police have seen dramatic improvement in the size and nature of house parties.

Previously, University Avenue bars Madison Avenue and Johnny O’s Restaurant and Bar went before the ALRC. Madison Avenue received a monthlong suspension with stricter license conditions, while Johnny O’s only received only sanctions on its license.

ALRC member and Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said the committee felt suspensions were necessary because the police complaints warranted some kind of punitive action. However, he said the bars did not deserve the “death penalty” of complete license revocation.

“The bottom line is the ALRC has gotten the attention of Bruce Meier and his son Jordan (a manager at the KK), and I’m very optimistic that the problems they have experienced over the last few years will not reoccur,” Verveer said.