Doyle signs state budget by deadline

Gov. Jim Doyle signed the state budget into law Monday, vetoing 81 items in the process to cut $10 million out of the $62 billion biennial budget.

Doyle noted in his budget address that the new budget marks the first time the state budget has been signed into law before the start of the new fiscal year since 1977.

“In the face of the worst global and national economic conditions in generations, the Democratic majority in the Legislature addressed the largest deficit in state history — $6.6 billion – and, despite this challenge, finished the budget on time,” Doyle said in a statement. “Many other states are facing enormous difficulties to pass their own budgets, but I am very proud to say that here in Wisconsin, we got the job done.”

Items vetoed include a proposed Milwaukee Transit Authority and an added position in the office of Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton. Doyle also used veto power to further reduce film tax incentives – which created controversy during the filming of the recently released “Public Enemies” – in the state to $500,000 a year.

Vetoes were also made to make minor changes in a new policy that will require minimum auto insurance coverage.

Some lawmakers cried foul at Doyle’s vetoes, citing specifically his use of a “Frankenstein veto” where two or more sentences are stitched together to form a new line of text.

“Clearly this was an unconstitutional veto and the law should stand as passed by the Legislature,” Sen. Russ Decker, D-Schofield, said in a statement. “We are currently exploring our options.”

Doyle has since said the veto was a mistake made as a result of short time and the law will stand as passed by the Legislature.

Items maintained in the budget includes cuts to state agencies, which will see layoffs across the board and 16 unpaid furlough days over the next two years. Doyle said with a $6.6 billion deficit facing the state, the cuts were unavoidable.

“None of us have enjoyed making deep cuts, particularly during a time when people need services most. But just as Wisconsin families and businesses cut back, so can state government. When times are better, we can restore what is necessary and we can invest to make our state stronger,” Doyle said in his address.

A new 75 cent tax on cigarettes and a monthly fee for phone users also remain.

On the education front, Doyle said at the signing the budget ensures attaining a college education is affordable.

He said through the budget, financial aid will increase by $20 million and the inclusion of a hold harmless provision will ensure tuition increases will not impact families making less than $60,000 a year.

“In Wisconsin, our universities play a significant role in growing the economy,” Doyle said. “This budget includes $8 million to begin hiring scientists and researchers at the Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery, over $4 million to support renewable energy and related projects at five of our UW campuses and $2 million to strengthen Wisconsin’s role as a leader in personalized health care.”

While Doyle has pledged the budget will make necessary cuts while maintaining priorities in the state, some lawmakers disagree the package is the best move for the state in a time of economic trouble.

“The Democrats have wasted little time in advancing their closed-door agenda to harm Wisconsin residents and business owners at a time when many have already been harmed,” Sen. Neal Kedzie, R-Elkhorn, said in a statement. “This budget is a recipe for economic disaster, and yet, Democrats are patting themselves on the back for getting this done in record time.”

The biennial budget passed the Senate 17-15 and the Assembly 51-46 June 26 after a deal was produced by the conference committee. It went into effect July 1.