Party leaders discuss Obama’s plans

Six leaders representing an array of Wisconsin labor and student unions came together Thursday to highlight the impact of President Barack Obama’s policies and discuss what must still be done to get the economy back on track.

Representatives from the Wisconsin Democratic Party of Wisconsin, Organizing for America, the United Council of University of Wisconsin Students, the Wisconsin Laborers District and the International Union of Operating Engineers met at the Highway 30 construction site adjacent to three I-94 bridges that are to be funded by the economic recovery package.

State Director of Organizing for America Dan Grandone said Obama has made strides in the change America needs, highlighting nine triumphs of the federal government during Obama’s first 100 days.

The accomplishments listed by Grandone included Obama’s recovery plan and budget to help the struggling economy, and the proposed tax relief for 95 percent of working Americans.

Tom Fischer, president of the Wisconsin Laborers District Council, said unemployment among the WLDC membership is between 20 and 50 percent statewide.

“I extend our thanks to President Barack Obama and congressional leaders for moving an economic stimulus package that will result in real jobs to get our economy working again,” Fischer said. “These projects create over $114 million in project work that will result in 4,000 jobs throughout the country.”

Michael Moscicke, university affairs director for the United Council of University of Wisconsin Students, said the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act also increases the number of Pell Grant recipients by 800,000 students.

In addition to the increase in Pell Grant recipients, Moscicke said the American Opportunity Tax Credit will be increased from $18,000 to $25,000, will be renewable for four years instead of two, and will be available to more students.

Although all political parties agree college affordability is an issue in society, UW College Republicans Chair Crystal Lee said the president’s new programs will prove detrimental to the problem of national debt.

“What you’re doing is creating more taxation on families who do not have students in college,” Lee said. “It’s giving someone a credit and taking away from the state universities while giving more power to the federal government.”

Lee also disagreed with the extended eligibility of scholarships.

“[Obama is] basically telling people that if you fall into that income bracket, you are getting money for college,” Lee said.

She added people who do well should be judged on their merit regardless of race, gender and ethnicity. Lee said she believes it is unfair to punish the wealthy for being well-educated and successful while rewarding those who have not shown adequate merit.

Kirsten Kukowski, spokesperson for the Republican Party of Wisconsin, said students are the ones who will be left to pay for the massive government spending done by the Obama administration.

“[Obama’s] economic policies tax borrow and spend way too much, and we shouldn’t be doing it on the backs of future generations,” Kukowski said in an e-mail to The Badger Herald.