Three possible cases of swine flu strike state

Health officials announced Wednesday three probable cases of swine flu have been found in Wisconsin, although the University of Wisconsin remains clear of the virus.

According to the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, two probable cases of swine influenza A (H1N1) infection have been found in Milwaukee County with another located in Adams County.

The three cases are pending confirmation by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, which had confirmed 91 cases nationwide as of Wednesday morning. One swine flu-related death has been reported in Texas.

Following the announcement of the three probable cases in Wisconsin, Gov. Jim Doyle released a statement urging citizens to use precaution and common sense and to follow the direction of local and state health officials.

“Only weeks ago, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services ranked Wisconsin among the best prepared states in the nation when it comes to dealing with pandemic flu. Since the beginning, our team has been working around the clock to put that preparation into action,” Doyle said in the statement.

Officials on the UW campus are advising students to go about their daily business, although Chancellor Biddy Martin announced Wednesday the university is advising faculty, staff and students to cancel nonessential travel plans to Mexico.

“Given the number of cases in Mexico, it’s wise for people,” said Sarah Van Orman, executive director of University Health Services. “Mexico is under a lot of strain from their public health system. People traveling to Mexico are putting themselves at risk that is not necessary at this time.”

Van Orman said the university is acting in accordance with CDC recommendations and will continue to do so in the future.

She added the university is not planning on cancelling any study abroad programs at this time.

“We do know that there are programs planned to Mexico and there are some campuses that have already canceled their programs. We know these programs are very valuable to students, but this is evolving so quickly. … We didn’t feel there was enough information to cancel them at this time,” Van Orman said.

According to Martin’s statement, the UW International Emergency Response Committee will make a final recommendation May 7 regarding study abroad programs.

Van Orman said in the meantime, it is important for students to continue to go about their normal lives, although extra hygienic precautions should be followed.

“I think it’s important to not be too panicky about this,” Van Orman said.

Students, faculty and staff who wish to continue to monitor the virus on campus are invited to visit www.news.wisc.edu/flu.