UW drops from top of party list

Decided through a series of “scientific formulas,” the University of Wisconsin ranked sixth in Playboy’s Top Party Schools of 2009.

UW dropped 5 places from its first place spot in 2006, the last time Playboy came out with the rankings, trailing behind the University of Miami in Florida, the University of Texas at Austin, San Diego State University in California, the University of Florida, and the University of Arizona.

“The top party school from our previous list makes it again as the northernmost representative,” the article read. “Negative: It’s cold, no doubt. Positive: It has the coldest beer on any campus.”

Playboy considered five factors when ranking the schools including bikini, sex, campus life, sports and brains.

These categories included items such as the number of on-campus tanning salons, gallons of beer consumed in the state each year, and the number of times the men’s basketball or football teams won their conference in the last four years. The colleges’ bars and party scenes were not considered.

UW received most of its points in the “Brains” categories.

“Oh yeah, Madison is also a pretty good place to get an education,” the article read.

The formula used to determine the “sex” score, where UW received its second greatest amount of points, was similar to those used to determine the other categories.

“We used the ranking from the Trojan Sexual Health Report Card (if none was given, the median was used) + the number of empty study rooms at a random hour in the library (the best place to have sex on campus if your roommate is home) + the numerical value of the College Prowler Strictness Score,” the article read.

The article commended UW for its parties on State and Mifflin as well as the consistency of the fans that remain faithful to their tailgates, regardless of the result of the team’s seasons.

“If we have any complaint about the fans, it’s that the guys should keep their shirts on,” the article read.

While the point system also tallied the number of sunny days and average temperature highs, points were unsurprisingly docked for Wisconsin’s cold winters.

UW Senior Molly Nelson said she thinks the school deserves the same top spot it received in 2006, when Nelson was a freshman.

“The scene changes from year to year but we still party as hard as we did if not harder than when we were freshman,” Nelson said.

Nelson also said UW deserved higher points in the “campus life” and “sports” categories, adding students tend to have the most fun on game days, regardless of the teams standings.

Nelson added if Playboy considered bar scenes when developing the rankings, UW would unquestionably be ranked higher.

UW Spokesperson John Lucas said in an e-mail to The Badger Herald the university does not have any reaction to the ranking.

Though the rankings have been done at random in the past, the article said Playboy plans to make the rankings an annual event.