New faces fill up ASM

While the University of Wisconsin student body re-elected several familiar faces to the 2009-10 Associated Students of Madison’s Student Council, the majority of the seats were filled with brand new faces.

Of the 29 seats, 16 are filled with new members, while one seat still needs to be filled by the council.

The new members represent the Responsibility slate, the For Accessibility, Community and Empowerment of Students slate, and unaffiliated parties. Each of the schools is represented by at least one new member as well.

“I’ve never been on ASM or involved in student government so I’m looking forward to getting involved and bringing some good change to the campus,” said UW sophomore Raechel Bartz, who will represent College of Agricultural and Life Sciences students on the Student Council.

Bartz said campus safety and a greater focus on student needs are among her top priorities as a Student Council member. Bartz added she looks forward to representing CALS students, who did not have a representative in past years.

Bartz also added she hopes every group of representatives will be able to work cooperatively in the next session.

“I know differences exist,” Bartz said. “But I think we can look at common goals and think of a way to reach them that everyone will be happy using.”

New Letters and Sciences SC representative Martenzie Johnson said he also looks forward to bringing fresh ideas to the student government.

Johnson is one of six new members representing the L&S, which has 12 seats.

“In the past, people thought they weren’t being represented well so I think we’re bringing a new view point to ASM.”

Jonah Zinn, UW freshman and newly elected L&S representative from the FACES slate, said he looks forward to serving on the council as well.

Although Zinn noted he’s glad other FACES members were elected to the committee, he still intends on working together with the remainder of the student government.

“We’re going in to try and help represent as many people as possible and we won’t be able to do it by isolating ourselves,” Zinn said.