GOP creates rival budget

A Wisconsin Congressman introduced an alternative federal budget Wednesday in an effort counteract the budget proposal introduced by President Barack Obama.

According to a report by the Republican Caucus and the Committee on the budget, the Republican Budget Alternative, introduced by House Budget Committee member Paul Ryan, R-Janesville, would spend $4.8 trillion less than the Democratic budget plan, borrow $3.6 trillion less than proposed by the Obama administration, not increase taxes, create 2.1 million more jobs than the budget proposed by Democrats and increase funding for defense and veterans.

“Republicans must not only act to stop this disastrous course, but offer the American people a better choice,” Ryan said in a statement. “Our budget alternative provides a path out of our current crises — by restoring economic growth and job creation, controlling spending and deficits — and by lifting the crushing burden of dent and taxes from future generations.”

The Republican Party of Wisconsin is also in support of Ryan’s proposal, according to spokesperson Kirsten Kukowski.

“The alternative budget proposed by Congressmen Ryan today keeps the promises that Obama made during his campaign that he has since backtracked on,” Kukowski said.

She added the president promised tax cuts and instead provided only more spending and increased deficit that will be passed on for future generations, only harming the economy in the long run.

Democrats and officials in the Obama administration are skeptical of the plan, however.

According to Rob Nabors, deputy director of the White House Office of Management and Budget, the bill is unlikely to repeal the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act or stand up in the long run with its continuation of former president George W. Bush administration’s economic policies.

“I don’t think that this was designed as a real plan that could be implemented in this country … I think what it is really is a series of talking points that they were hoping no one would actually look behind,” Nabors said.

He added the Republican proposal, including a measure to turn Medicare into a voucher program, would greatly harm the economy by increasing healthcare costs at a time when reducing healthcare costs is the most important way for the federal government to reduce its current deficit.

Nabors also criticized the Republican proposal for rescinding the 2009 appropriation bills and freezing discretionary spending, which would greatly reduce Pell Grants.

Wisconsin Congressman Ron Kind, D-La Crosse, agreed with Nabors’ assessment of the plan.

“The budget proposal offered by House Republicans not only undermines our short-term recovery, but also threatens our long-term prosperity,” Kind said in an e-mail to The Badger Herald. “Cutting education funding by $55 billion does not help our economy recover or keep American businesses competitive with China and India.”