ASM looks to student voice for restructuring

ASM_JS
ASM Vice Chair Hannah Karns and Chynna Haas announce a forum scheduled for later this month.[/media-credit]

In an effort to more effectively serve the student body, the Associated Students of Madison said Wednesday it is looking to restructure the student government through a new initiative focused entirely on the student voice.

The student government’s first step toward restructuring will be in the form of a student forum called Discussion 2009.

According to ASM Vice Chair Hannah Karns, the student forum will be conducted differently than those held in the past.

“The basic premise is that we don’t have any objectives or ideas that we’re going to throw out there as facilitators,” Karns said. “Telling people what to do just hasn’t worked in the past. [The new format] is to really generate feedback from students. This is the difference between earlier forums.”

The forum is also aimed to resemble a town hall meeting and give students a chance to voice concerns and ideas related to the structure of ASM, according to Karns. The student government also hopes to stomp out the popular misconceptions that ASM only serves as a funding source, Karns added.

ASM member Chynna Haas said she hopes to generate positive feedback from the forum and develop ideas for reform.

Haas added the existing council will create suggestions on how to handle problems voiced during the forum.

“Our hope is that this campuswide forum will provide the next session with appropriate guidance feedback and will highlight key areas that students are concerned about,” Haas said. “It’s a step in right direction for ASM to show they are committed … and to empower students to feel ASM is their student government.”

Although the current council will develop suggestions, Haas said members of the next ASM session are under no obligation to take the data into consideration or incorporate it into their new agenda.

The idea for the initiative was developed in a debriefing session held in the aftermath of the council’s failed vote to adopt a new constitution, Karns said. She added the committee has no specific direction it would like to see the forum go, emphasizing she does not want the council to bring up any ideas of their own.

“No longer are those most invested in ASM expressing how they view what needs to change,” Karns said. “I don’t want us to influence what Discussion 2009 would include.”

Hass said the 15 percent voter turnout showed students were interested in reform, though the changes developed internally were not what students were looking for.

For students who can’t attend the forum, the council also looks to create a blog on the ASM website to encourage feedback.

“Students should (also) know they are always welcome to contact their student representatives,” Haas said.

The forum is open to all students and will be held Wednesday, April 15 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Caucus Room of the Student Activities Center.