Mistele raises more funds than incumbent Falk

After holding tremendous leads in previous fundraising periods, the money Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk raised in 2009 thus far trails by approximately $53,000 in comparison to challenger Nancy Mistele.

Falk and Mistele are competing for the Dane County executive position in the April 7 election.

The fundraising period that began Jan. 1 and ended March 23, shows Mistele raised approximately $154,000 while Falk raised about $101,000.

“To be fair [Mistele], during this period, raised more than we raised, but Nancy’s list reads of right-wing Republican donors,” said Melissa Mulliken, Falk’s campaign manager for Falk.

However, Jon Horne, Mistele’s campaign manager, said these numbers are a sign of support for Mistele.

Describing Mistele as the “underdog” of the race, Horne said though Falk has a lot of the establishment on her side, Mistele brings a message of change to the table.

“To out-raise a 12-year incumbent one to two in a [campaign] is really incredible, and it shows Nancy Mistele is on the verge of victory this week,” Horne said.

Because Falk has won two countywide elections and has been in office for 12 years, Horne said he believes Falk should have out-raised Mistele dramatically.

However, Mulliken said the fundraising money Falk has obtained throughout her campaign is 2.5 times greater than the amount of money Mistele has raised.

Thus far, Falk has raised approximately $317,000 while Mistele has raised $168,000, according to the campaign finance report.

According to Mulliken, Falk has been endorsed by more than 100 elected officials across Wisconsin, as well as many major organizations throughout the state. Her many endorsements and statewide support are an indication of the leadership Falk brings to the county, Mulliken added.

Horne said Mistele will keep campaigning until the April 7 election.

“Nancy may not have the support of … the top brass, but she has the support of the people who are writing a check and will vote on April 7. We didn’t know the extent, but we knew people were tired of Kathleen Falk,” Horne said. “This report shows people have no tie to her.”