P.J. Hill allegedly drives drunk, evades UW cops

PJHill_AR
Hill allegedly struck the guard rail pictured prior to a police chase which ended on Spring Street.[/media-credit]

Former University of Wisconsin football running back P.J. Hill faces charges including drunken driving and two felonies after allegedly leading UW police on a short car chase near campus March 14.

UW police confirmed Hill, 22, was arrested in the early morning hours of March 14 after they were called to the Open Pantry convenience store on Randall and Regent Streets, where a hit-and-run of a guardrail had taken place.

Nearby, police spotted Hill’s car, which matched a description, and attempted to pull him over.

After spotting the police, Hill ran through an intersection, leading a short chase that ended after Hill hit a wooden wall on Spring Street. He was then taken into custody around 2:30 a.m.

Officers said there was a female passenger in the car at the time of the chase, and Hill refused a breathalyzer test prior to being taken into custody, but he confirmed he had been drinking.

Hill faces felony charges of second-degree reckless endangerment and fleeing police officers. He has also been tentatively charged with drunken driving, driving without headlights and reckless driving, according to UW police.

Hill was released from jail March 16, when he appeared in the Dane County Circuit Court. He is expected back in court April 6 when formal charges may be filed.

According to university statistics, Hill led the Badgers in rushing last fall as a junior, when he ran for 1,194 yards on 226 carries. He completed his career for the Badgers with a rushing record only topped by Ron Dayne and Anthony Davis.

He had planned to enter the National Football League Draft next month. However, as his case continues, limits on travel may inhibit him from appearing at the draft scheduled for April 25-26 in New York City.

According to court records, Hill was previously charged twice with non-criminal offenses for disorderly conduct and illegal passenger riding on motorcycle.

Assistant District Attorney Vanny Lu did not return several calls as of press time.