Two drunken men rob Stop-N-Go

StoGo_JS
A clerk works Sunday at the Stop-N-Go store on University Avenue, which was robbed early Friday morning.[/media-credit]

The Stop-N-Go on University Avenue was subject to a possible armed robbery early Friday morning.

According to the police report, at approximately 1:50 a.m., two men entered the Stop-N-Go demanding money and cigarettes.

The first perpetrator entered the convenience store, keeping his right hand in his sleeve in the shape of a gun, said Joel DeSpain, spokesperson for the Madison Police Department.

Although the MPD is not sure if the perpetrator was actually armed, he pointed his right arm at the clerk and demanded the money in the cash register, DeSpain said.

According to the police report, the robber was a light skinned black male in his early 20s. He sported a bright blue, thigh length jacket with white trim and the hood of the jacket was tied tightly around his face.

“The clerk opened register took out the money and place on counter,” DeSpain said. “He grabbed all of the money out of till. The bad guy never removed the right hand from his coat.”

The second perpetrator, who was waiting outside the store with both hands in his pockets, then entered and demanded the clerk “get out of his way,” DeSpain said, adding he stole nine boxes of Newport cigarettes.

According to DeSpain, the clerk of the store thought the second robber was intoxicated at the time of the theft.

The police report describes the second perpetrator as a dark-skinned male, also in his 20s. He was wearing a black leather coat, jeans and a black hat, and had a low voice.

This was not the first robbery the convenience store was subjected to, DeSpain said, adding it is common for gas station stores to be robbed.

DeSpain said the clerk of the store thinks these two men have robbed him before.

Stop-N-Go had footage of the robbery on its surveillance camera, which was supposedly handed over to the police for further investigation Friday, DeSpain added.

“The No. 2 guy — as he’s leaving — said, ‘Merry Christmas! We’ll be back,'” DeSpain said.

The two perpetrators took off northbound from the store.

The manager of Stop-N-Go could not be reached for comment.