PAVE, EWB want funding changes at SSFC meeting

SSFC_KF
SSFC discussed funding options for two UW campus groups at its Thursday meeting at Memorial Union.[/media-credit]

The Associated Students of Madison’s Student Service Finance Committee approved the proposed budget alterations for student organizations Promoting Victim Awareness Empowerment and the Engineers Without Borders Thursday.

Financial Manager Eyleen Chou spoke on behalf of EWB, asking the council for permission to create three domestic home manager positions out of the existing two.

The creation of a new position took 10 hours away from the two existing domestic home manager positions, creating three equal positions each entailing 20 hours of work per week.

The SSFC approved the division of the existing salary to be distributed equally among the three positions. Each domestic home manager will receive a total of $1,470.40 per year.

“This is a necessary move to make the organization more efficient,” said SSFC representative Darren Knox.

The vote was passed by a unanimous vote.

SSFC also agreed to allow the student organization PAVE to reallocate $160 of their initial travel budget to a new travel line item allowing for the student organization to attend an Intimate Partner Violence workshop.

Although the vote was passed, not everyone approved.

“To me they are moving the fund just to use the money because it’s there,” said SSFC representative Ashleigh Michael. “To me that isn’t a precedent I want to set with (General Student Services Fund) groups.”

Although Knox acknowledged he agreed with Michael’s stance, he stated PAVE came to the council under unusual circumstances and believed PAVE would benefit from the reallocation of their funds.

SSFC also made formal recommendations to the Student Council against the college council funding stream.

“[The college council funding stream] is for Student Councils at individual colleges to provide programs specifically for students of their colleges,” said SSFC Chair Carl Fergus.

The budget stream would offer student governments money each time the government met the required voting turnout for an election.

If passed, ASM would receive such funding if voter turnout exceeded 10 percent.

Fergus added he did not think the funding stream was necessary and would not be in the best interest of UW students.

“I think that money is already present for these groups in the form of event grants, and I also think that it’s a bad policy to tie a voter turnout to any funding decision,” Fergus said.

Fergus added many students would be in opposition to the college council funding stream because it would call for an increase in student tuition since the funding allotted to the student governments that met the criteria would come out of segregated fees.

“If the college council went into affect the segregated fees levy would increase by around $100,000 to $200,000 for next year,” Fergus said.

Fergus added he feared students might act on their opposition to the funding stream by creating a “don’t vote” campaign to protect themselves from increasing tuition.