Hoofers kick off Winter Carnival

The annual Hoofers Winter Carnival will be held this weekend featuring a variety of events, including the unveiling of Lady Liberty’s torch and crown in honor of the 30th anniversary of her presence on campus.

The statue is a replica of the top fifth of the original Statue of Liberty and will appear to be rising out of the ice of Lake Mendota outside Memorial Union. University of Wisconsin alum Chris Murphy constructed the statue, although repairs were made in 2004.

Event Chair Bridget Maniaci said even though the warm weather melted some of the lake’s ice, it is still thick enough to support the statue.

The carnival will kick off tonight with a Teton Gravity Research film at the Wisconsin Union Theater at 7 p.m.

To help promote the movie, the Hoofers will be giving out free hot chocolate this afternoon in Library Mall from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Saturday night will feature a free ski at Tyron Basin from 9 p.m. to midnight, although participants will need to come to the Hoofers office in order to register for the event.

On Sunday, participants will be able to participate in a variety of winter games, including a broomball tournament, frozen bowling and a snow sculpture from noon to 4 p.m.

“We will have really great prizes [for winter game winners],” Maniaci said. “Prizes will be from local businesses and lift tickets.”

The carnival events will continue into next week, including an all-campus plaid day on Tuesday as the student body heads to the polls to vote on the new Associated Students of Madison constitution.

On Feb. 21, there will be a snow kiting demonstration on Lake Mendota, weather permitting, Maniaci added.

Ice-skating will also be included at the carnival, although Maniaci said the group is still working on the situation to rent the skates and final details have yet to be released.

“Now that the weather is starting to cool down, we’re hoping the rest of the events will get to go on,” said Hoofers Council President Kyle Olsen.

Due to the warm weather over the past week, the Valentine’s Moonlight Ice Age Trail and the Bascom Hill Rail Jam have been canceled.

The rail jam event was going to feature freestyle skiers and snowboarders doing tricks, and was going to be sponsored by a variety of companies, including Red Bull, according to Olsen.

“The condition of Bascom is soft and muddy,” said Maniaci. “There is no reasonable way to put on the event without damaging Bascom Hill.”

The ice trail event was canceled due to similar conditions.

While the rail event was removed from the agenda this year, Hoofers members are hopeful that it will be a part of the festivities in the future.

“[UW Ski and Snowboard club] made the contact, so hopefully they’ll be able to do it next year,” Olsen said.

Although the weather resulted in the cancellation of two events, an ice boating demonstration on Feb. 21 may be added to the agenda as the result of warmer conditions, Maniaci added.