More construction begins on east side

[media-credit name=’BOBBY BREITENBACH/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]EWash_BB[/media-credit]

The fifth and final installment of the East Washington Avenue reconstruction effort began Monday morning and will be completed by spring 2010.

According to Madison Deputy Engineer Rob Phillips, the reconstruction project began in 2004 in an effort to make the avenue more functional and appealing.

“The main reason the project was started was because the condition of the pavement was terrible,” Phillips said.

According to Phillips, the $18.8 million project is funded by federal, state and city resources. The city’s share of the bill is $2.67 million.

Phillips added the project will include reconstructing a half-mile of East Washington Avenue from Marquette Street to Pinecrest Drive. The construction will also improve three-quarter-miles of Highway 30, including the bridge over the highway.

Currently, motorists driving westbound from Milwaukee on Highway 30 cannot turn into the East Towne area, Phillips said, but he added the on and off ramps at the interchange will soon be replaced.

While the majority of the reconstruction work will be finished by December 2009, some of the finishing work, such as replacing the streetlights and landscaping, may last until spring 2010, Phillips said.

Phillips added all businesses in the construction site will still be accessible throughout the duration of the project.

“This is definitely a good thing for the community.” said Bob Spoerl, Roadside Facilities engineer for the state. “That area has needed [the reconstruction] for a long time.”

Drivers who travel through the construction site on East Washington Avenue will face delays, Spoerl said. He advises drivers to take alternative routes to avoid mass traffic.

“The area will be much safer and smoother once the project is completed,” Ald. Joseph Clausius, District 17, said.

According to Clausius, patrons should have little difficulty accessing stores in the construction area since most businesses do not face East Washington Avenue.

Mary Graham, teacher at Claudi’s Kids Day-Care Center on East Washington Avenue, said she has little fear businesses will lose patrons to the reconstruction.

“It’s just one of those matter-of-fact things.” Graham said. “It’s part of life and part of summer.”

Nonetheless, Phillips said construction can be difficult for businesses, and he is providing e-mail updates regarding the construction and holding regular meetings to communicate with business owners.

Phillips also said he is helping establishments affected by the construction put up signs directing patrons to alternative routes to their businesses.

In addition, Phillips said staff is available on site to direct patrons to businesses on East Washington Avenue.

For up-to-date information about the reconstruction on East Washington Avenue, visit www.eastwashington.org.