Autism coverage sought

In a press conference Tuesday, Gov. Jim Doyle called for a strengthening of the newly proposed Senate bill requiring insurance companies to cover the medical costs of autistic children.

By guaranteeing coverage of autism treatment, the bill will reduce waiting lists for medical treatment by a third, according to a statement. The bill will also decrease the financial burdens of thousands of Wisconsin families affected by autism and other pervasive developmental disorders.

Wisconsin would not be the first state to enact such legislation. Autism treatment services are already covered in 19 states, including California, Iowa and Illinois.

During its last session, the Legislature introduced several bills to reduce autism treatment expenses.

A bill similar to the newly proposed one was passed through the Democrat-controlled Senate but failed in the then Republican-controlled Assembly. Conversely, the Assembly passed a rival bill which was unsuccessful in the Senate.

Carla Vigue, spokesperson for Doyle, said the governor has met with many Wisconsin families with autistic children and wants to help ease the financial burdens posed by treatments by mandating insurance coverage.

“The governor realizes that this is a big cost to many families in the state, and it’s a cost that, just like any other disease, deserves to be covered by insurance,” Vigue said.

Vigue added Doyle has worked closely with Sen. Judy Robson, D-Beloit, lead author of the proposal, to make the bill stronger and expects the Legislature to pass the bill quickly.

Rep. Kim Hixson, D-Whitewater, one of the bill’s main sponsors, said it is only fair for families living with autism to be covered by health insurance instead of paying expensive bills with money out of their pocket.

“I think it’s a matter of compassion and fairness,” Hixson said. “The opportunity is there for these children to lead better and more productive lives, and it would be a shame not to help them.”

Hixson also said he is very hopeful the bill will be passed quickly since it has support from both Doyle and Assembly Speaker Mike Sheridan, D-Janesville.

Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, said requiring insurance companies to cover autism treatment is not the best course of action.

Suder, a member of the Assembly Insurance Committee, said the mandate may not cover as many autistic families as hoped because it will also escalate the cost of insurance for other state residents.

“Mandates have a nasty habit of raising prices for consumers,” Suder said. “We think it can be done in a better manner and serve more people.”

Suder added Republicans will channel their power to fight for the passage of this bill, but conceded the bill is likely to pass because of Democratic control in both houses.

According to the Autism Society of America, an estimated one in 150 children have an autism spectrum disorder. Wisconsin currently funds intensive in-home treatment services for a limited number of children with autism.