SSFC approves lower ASM budget

[media-credit name=’KATE BRENNER/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]SSFC_KB[/media-credit]

Student Services Finance Committee finalized the 2009-10 internal budget for the Associated Students of Madison, decreasing the group’s entire budget proposal by 3.32 percent from last year.

“Based on straight numbers, it’s costing a little under $1 per student less,” SSFC Chair Kurt Gosselin said.

Changes included a $10,367 cut in membership dues for the United States Students Association as well as a cut of $1,500 from the United Council.

According to Gosselin, this cut reflects changes in prices based on an overbudgeted year.

One hundred and fifty dollars was also added to the budget for Finance Committee training, and $2,500 was added to the computer line item to rotate out bad computers and bring in updated technology.

“We know that if we get computers better able to handle our needs, we could help ASM function better and help students be better represented by their student government,” SSFC committee member Tyler Junger said.

Although the computer line item passed, not everyone was in support.

“I don’t understand why ASM would need more computers,” SSFC member Megan Schmitz said. “I don’t want to add more to the budget than what they asked for and I think this is too much.”

The amended budget will be sent to the Student Council for final review within the next couple of weeks, Gosselin said. The Student Council will then have the opportunity to amend budget proposals with a two-thirds vote.

ASM also discussed the grand opening Wednesday of the new Student Activity Center, located at 333 E. Campus Mall. The student-initiated project took over 10 years to complete and now houses 63 student organizations, including ASM, Student Print and WSUM Radio.

“We will be showcasing everything that ASM does and has done for students,” Gosselin said.

Gosselin added that tours of the brand new building will begin at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday night and last about 20 minutes. The Madhatters will also be performing, and light refreshments will be available.

“And don’t worry,” Gosselin said. “The refreshments provided will not be paid for with segregated fees.”