Journalist calls for action

[media-credit name=’KATE BRENNER/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]DLS_KB[/media-credit]

Former lead journalist for Ma’an News Agency, Amira Hanania called for global involvement in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and challenged people to become responsible future leaders Monday at the Distinguished Lecture Series.

Twenty-seven-year-old Hanania is the subject of the recent documentary film “Live from Bethlehem” about the conflict in Palestine and Israel and the importance of truthful reporting of both sides of every news story.

Hanania drew from her experience as a journalist from the age of 17, when she became the host of a youth radio talk show.

“I wanted to find the news, not just report it,” Hanania said. “It’s so important for Palestinians to have good news that comes from our country… for us to become a strong nation, we must tell our own stories.”

UW sophomore Stephanie Connors said she heard about Hanania through a friend and was impressed with the documentary and talk.

Connors said unlike television broadcasts on the conflict, Hanania’s live presentation brought the topic to life.

“Even the question-and-answer session, she was very wise, giving holistic answers to everyone that worked towards respect and peace,” Connors added.

Hanania talked about the struggles of being a journalist as well as a woman and a mother of twin boys in Palestine.

According to Hanania, women’s lives are framed with conflict. They are constantly caught up in the struggles of motherhood and often fear for their sons and husbands.

“I could report the news all day, but nothing I could say would make the loss and death of an innocent person any less terrible. I think Israel was wrong because the war killed so many innocent people, and I can’t forgive that,” said Hanania. “It is not self-defense to kill defenseless people.”

DLS co-organizer Chun-See Tsao said he felt Hanania was a direct and tactfully blunt speaker, and her unique position in Palestine gave her great insight.

Hanania also spoke addressing President Barack Obama. She said she has faith in his abilities as president, and urged students to push him and all leaders to prioritize human rights.

UW junior Mike Farron said he liked the talk and was impressed with the leadership of the Ma’an News Agency as the only independent news network in Palestinian territories.

He said Hanania’s words conveyed a strong message.

“I think it’s not the faith in journalism, it’s the faith in leaders in our world. … History repeats itself,” Hanania said. “If we didn’t talk or report what was happening here, who would know? Who would make the change? I work hard to show this — try to tell the story that people will understand when rights are violated.”