Arson causes 2 car fires

The Madison Police Department and Madison Fire Department are investigating for possible arson in the cases of two suspicious and costly vehicle fires that occurred Friday.

Lori Wirth, public information officer for the MFD, said witnesses reported two separate incidents of vehicle fires on the northeast side of Madison early Friday morning.

The cars, which ignited within 25 minutes of one another, caught fire in about a 2 1/2 mile radius. At the times of the fires, both vehicles were parked and empty. No injuries were reported in either incident.

The first incident occurred at 3:19 a.m. on Comanche Glen Street. A patron who extinguished the fire placed an emergency call to the MFD.

The flames started in the engine compartment of the vehicle.

The second call was placed about 25 minutes later on Eliot Lane as the front end of that vehicle was enflamed.

Wirth said investigators from both the MFD and MPD believed the fires were probably intentional, since investigators did not find fault in the construction of either vehicle.

“Police suspect that the incidents were targeted,” Wirth said. “People don’t have to fear a rash of vehicle fires.”

She added that investigators now suspect arson since all accidental causes or signs of the use of an inflammatory agent have been ruled out.

According to Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, District 12, since the incidents appear to be isolated and not a random act of vandalism, there is a probable relation between the victim and perpetrator, thus sparking the offence.

MPD Lt. Dave McCaw said while no arrests have been made at this time, investigators suspect the incidents are related.

Investigators from the MFD and MPD are currently interviewing the owners of both vehicles as well as eyewitnesses. Both fires caused a sum of approximately $40,000 worth of damage.

Investigators began researching the incident by examining the vehicle for faulty electrical wiring and other problems that might have accidentally started the fire. They also studied burn patterns.

McCaw said the MPD and MFD investigators routinely work together for fire cases of a suspicious origin to combine resources and improve the investigation.

He added organic vehicle fires are fairly rare but recommended citizens keep their vehicles well maintained to help prevent combustion and keep owners safe. He also offered a variety of tips.

“Make sure the vehicle is in good working condition, with no leaks.” Wirth said. “Gas and oil fumes create a greater potential for fires.”

Keeping vehicles in a well-lit area can help prevent keying, arson and other vandalism, McCaw added.

Despite these fires, the area of the city affected is not known for dangerous activity.

“Current trends show that this section of the city in general is as safe, or safer, than the rest of the city,” Conway said.

Anyone with information regarding the fires is encouraged to called the MPD or MFD.