Greek numbers down at UW following economic downturn

Due to hard economic times, university Greek systems across the nation are concerned participation in Greek life will decline.

According to Barbara Kautz, student involvement coordinator at the University of Wisconsin, the UW System saw a decrease in recruitment participants by about 100 from fall 2007 to fall 2008.

“Folks’ and families’ college budgets have shrunken because of the economic downturn that we’ve had, and I think maybe some folks have shied away from going through recruitment because it’s a high collegiate expense thanks to the cost of dues,” Kautz said.?

Kautz added putting a child through college is challenging enough, and it’s reasonable that both parents and children are looking for ways to keep colleges as financially manageable as possible.

“Things aren’t working in our favor right now,” Kautz said. “I don’t think folks really realize how much they can get out of being in a fraternity or a sorority.”

Kautz added that the UW Panhellenic and Interfraternity councils are making a greater effort to maintain their levels of participation in the Greek system.

“A lot of people don’t realize that living in a sorority or fraternity house is comparable in price to living in an apartment on campus,” Kautz said.

Kautz added that the councils are working to better inform people about the benefits of joining the Greek community as well as financial specifics by sending a variety of pamphlets to incoming students and their parents throughout the summer.

According to Kautz, the councils raised funds at the 150th anniversary of UW Greek life in 2007 to go toward student scholarships as well.

“We set up accounts through UW to give scholarships to students that have financial burdens and that still want to be in a fraternity or sorority,” Kautz said.

Kautz added that the alumni Panhellenic group is looking to increase this scholarship program in the future.

Although the University of Michigan has not seen a notable change in recruitment numbers, Mary Beth Seiler, director of Greek life there, is concerned about the future of their recruitment participation.

“We really don’t know what to expect,” Seiler said. “Everyone is going to be watching very carefully.”

According to Seiler, while the number of rush participants increased 16 percent from fall 2006 to fall 2007, student participation in 2008 was stagnant.

“But things with the economy didn’t really get bad until after rush in September,” Seiler added. “We’re going to be doing an extra push to be sure that the numbers stay the same next year.”

Seiler added they will continue to publicize their Greek system as best they can in hopes to avoid a drop off in numbers.

“It’s something we really need to think about,” Seiler said. “We’ve got to find a way to stay relevant and affordable.”