Regents appoint UW chancellors

A University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents special committee voted two new chancellors into the UW System at a closed meeting Friday.

Thomas Harden, former president of Clayton State University in Atlanta, was approved to take over as chancellor of UW-Green Bay.

Dean Van Galen, vice president for university advancement at the University of West Florida in Pensacola, was approved as chancellor of UW-River Falls.

Harden said his administrative background has prepared him to take over as chancellor.

“I have nine years experience as a university president, which I think helps quite a bit and I have a number of other administrative and academic experience as well,” Harden said.

Harden added he has not yet made an agenda for UW-Green Bay.

“I have a lot to learn about the people and the strengths of the university,” Harden said. “And the agenda would have a lot to do with using the capabilities and talents available to move the university in the direction that it ought to go.”

Harden added that he must wrap up his responsibilities at Clayton State University before focusing on his duties as chancellor.

Harden also added he is eager to learn more about the New North concept and interested in continuing to work toward the state’s growth agenda.

The New North is a partnership that includes groups from different areas of the state, including business institutions that work to advance the state of Wisconsin and strengthen education, the economy and community life, according to Judith Crain, UW System Board of Regents special committee chair for UW-Green Bay.

“I’m also interested in working with the academic programs and in identifying what the faculty and department heads and deans think they would like to see the university do academically,” Harden said.

While Harden has no concrete goals for the future, members of the Special Committee are confident about his future at UW-Green Bay, according to Crain.

“The pool of candidates was a very good pool,” Crain added. “The Board of Regents committee considered those candidates, interviewed them as well and decided Thomas Harden was the best choice for this position.”

According to Crain, Harden’s focus on student needs as well as his strong experience in leadership and community relations is one of the many reasons Harden was selected.

Van Galen said celebration is in order after the approval of his recommendation as chancellor for UW-River Falls.

“I was up for the interview and got to know the campus and the people and think it’s a tremendous university,” Van Galen said.

Van Galen added that serving 12 years as vice president for university advancement at the University of West Florida in Pensacola as well as his teaching experience at Truman State University in Missouri have prepared him for the role of chancellor.

“I am also a Wisconsin native,” Van Galen said. “I met my wife there so this will be a coming home of sort for us.”

Both new chancellors will start their new jobs June 1.