Madison may host 2016 Olympic cycling events

Doyle_LK
Gov. Jim Doyle announces Madison has become part of Chicago\’s bid to host the 2016 summer Olympic games.[/media-credit]

Madison will be host to several Olympic cycling events if Chicago is chosen to host the 2016 summer games, officials announced Friday.

Two events would be based directly out of Madison — the cycling time trials would take place entirely within downtown, and the road race would begin on the University of Wisconsin campus.

The road race would then move east through downtown and before heading west to its finish in Blue Mound State Park, about 25 miles southwest of Madison. However, over an hour of cycling will take place on the streets of downtown Madison.

Additionally, the mountain bike course would be at Tyrol Basin in Mt. Horeb, a ski and snowboard destination about 20 miles west of Madison.

Athletes will be housed on the UW campus at a new residence hall scheduled for completion in 2014.

Gov. Jim Doyle said Wisconsin has been working with the Chicago 2016 committee for some time.

“It would also provide an economic boom that will travel up here to Wisconsin,” Doyle said. “We will have the opportunity to host travelers and athletes eager to experience all that our beautiful state has to offer.”

Doug Arnot, director of sports and operations for Chicago 2016, said he believes Madison already has the adequate infrastructure in place but added it was too early to estimate exact figures on the number of visitors to Madison.

Taxpayers will not pay any of the direct costs of the events, Arnot said but added state and local governments often use it as a way to improve the appearance and functionality of their city.

Arnot said the committee had originally planned a road race route in the Chicago area, but the course was relatively flat due to the nature of Illinois.

Professional cyclist Robbie Ventura, a Kenosha native, worked to help determine an appropriate course in the Madison-area.

“I know the athletes are going to love coming here, it’s going to be a challenging course,” Ventura said.

Ventura added it is the most difficult course of any of the past few Olympic games based on the number and intensity of uphill stretches.

Doyle called the announcement “a testament to our strong biking tradition,” pointing out Wisconsin’s ranking as the second most bike-friendly state, Madison’s extensive bike trail system and the state’s $800 million bicycle tourism industry.

“[Madison’s] reputation as a cycling destination is arguable second to none in the United States,” Arnot said.

Other cities in competition for the games include Rio de Janeiro, Tokyo and Madrid, which was a finalist for the 2012 games, ultimately awarded to London.

The International Olympic Committee will visit Chicago April 2-8 as a part of the decision making process, Arnot said.

IOC will make its final decision at an Oct. 2 meeting in Copenhagen, Denmark.