Man dies from beating

The victim of a beating one block from Crave Restaurant and Lounge early Sunday morning died early Tuesday after being listed as being in critical condition for more than two days.

The death of 27-year-old Eduardo Cademartori marks Madison’s 11th homicide of the year.

Two men were arrested Monday in connection with the incident. Roynell Fuller, 19, was charged with substantial battery and Ross Spang, 22, a Crave employee, was charged with substantial battery and being party to a crime.

Capt. Mary Schauf said the charges will be upgraded now that the victim has succumbed to his injuries, but based on current evidence, it will probably be a charge of first- or second-degree reckless homicide.

“Based on what I know right now, it would be very surprising if [the charge] were intentional (homicide),” Schauf said, adding the charges will be changed after results of the autopsy come back.

Schauf said an autopsy is scheduled for today, which will determine the cause of death.

Cademartori, a highly regarded race-car mechanic, was in Madison training for a week with a local racing team. He previously worked for a LevelFive Motorsports Racing team in Florida.

According to the police report, the incident started at the Crave. Cademartori left by himself, and three men followed him to the corner of State and Johnson Streets, where the victim was hit with a blow to the head.

When police arrived, Cademartori was unconscious and appeared to have suffered severe head trauma.

Investigators have not yet made contact with the third person involved, Schauf said, adding that the case has been very well handled.

“The investigation is very well in hand,” Schauf said, “(but) it’s far from being done.”

The fight occurred just one block from a homicide in September outside the Plaza Tavern, in which Juan Bernal, 22, of Madison was stabbed and killed.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said about 10 police cars responded to the scene on Sunday morning around 2 a.m. and more than a dozen officers worked to interview witnesses at the scene.