Regents to address pay plan, academic programs

During its final meetings of the year today and Friday, the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents is scheduled to weigh several important decisions regarding UW campuses, including several key proposals at UW-Madison.

Up for approval at the meeting is the 2009-11 pay plan for UW’s academic staff and faculty. UW System President Kevin Reilly has recommended a 2.5 percent salary increase for each of the next two years, a dramatic shift from the regent’s earlier endorsement of a percent increase twice that amount.

“Two years ago the board endorsed a 5.3 percent increase in each of the next four years,” UW System spokesperson David Giroux said. “We’ve scaled back that plan in recognition of the extraordinary economic crisis facing our state.”

Giroux said although the UW System cannot offer as competitive of salaries as it could under better economic conditions, the 2.5 percent increase would keep the System salaries from lagging further behind those of other universities.

“This is something we have to do,” Giroux said. “It’s a very awkward time for us to do it … so well in advance of the governor even introducing his two-year state budget. But it’s information that the Department of Administration and the governor need to form up that state budget.”

Consideration of the pay plan will start in the Business, Finance and Audit Committee today, and if approved, will come before the regents Friday.

Board of Regents Vice President Chuck Pruitt said the regent’s approval of the pay plan would only serve as a recommendation to the state.

“What this is, is simply us making a request to the state for a pay plan increase,” Pruitt said. “It is obviously a difficult time for the state financially, and I think President Reilly’s recommendation reflects that.”

Union South and Vet Med School Addition

Also on the table at the meeting is the approval to demolish the Union South Building and Hi Ray Hall on the UW-Madison campus to make way for new site development.

“It’s certainly going to be reviewed carefully by the Capital Planning Committee,” Pruitt said. “UW-Madison has obviously developed a very well-conceived and well-constructed master plan, so to the extent to which these specific decisions are reflective of that, I think that’s important.”

UW-Madison is also asking for the approval of a TomoTherapy addition to the School of Veterinary Medicine. The new unit would use technology effective in treating cancer in animals, updating the school’s outdated radiation unit.

Although the UW System is facing a significantly tighter budget in the near future, Giroux is optimistic about the outcomes of such projects on the local economy.

“We need to look at opportunities to save money,” Giroux said. “When we do bring these building projects forward, we’re putting a lot of contractors, architects, electricians, plumbers and engineers to work here in Wisconsin. We don’t want to do something that disrupts that economic stimulus.”

New Programs

Other UW System institutions are hoping for the approval of several new degree programs, including the implementation of a Bachelor of Science in Materials Science at UW-Eau Claire and a Bachelor of Science in Technology and Science Education program at UW-Stout, among others.

Giroux said while budget limitations will be a factor in deciding the approval of the new program proposals, costs can often be managed at each campus internally.

“In most of these cases, you are looking at campuses that are allocating existing resources, in some cases combining existing degree programs under a new name,” Giroux said. “We want to add to the menu of learning options within the UW System, and enrich it, but the question of funding and support is also very, very important.”