Democrats pick speaker Sheridan

Rep. Mike Sheridan, D-Janesville, was elected speaker of the state Assembly Wednesday, becoming the first Democrat to hold the position in 14 years.

Sheridan, former president of the United Auto Workers Union at the General Motors Janesville plant, won the position after serving four years in the Assembly.

He beat out opponent Rep. Jon Richards, D-Milwaukee, who has served as assistant minority leader since 2003 and has served in the Assembly for 10 years.

“We have all worked very hard over the last several years to take back the majority, and we have reason to be proud of our success,” Sheridan said in a statement. “I believe that we need to hit the ground running to accomplish our mission of getting Wisconsin back on track.”

One of Sheridan’s goals in the upcoming legislative session is to work with the Republican minority to pass bills to recuperate Wisconsin’s failing economy and create jobs.

“As speaker, I will lead with an open mind and an open door,” Sheridan said. “We need to change politics as usual in the state Assembly.”

Democrats also elected Rep. Tom Nelson, D-Kaukauna, as their majority leader. Nelson beat out opponent Rep. Pedro Colon, D-Milwaukee, who initially ran for speaker before dropping out and supporting Richards.

As speaker, one of Sheridan’s primary responsibilities will be setting the agenda for the Assembly. He will have to work closely with Nelson and Minority Leader Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon.

“Soon after Sheridan was elected, [Fitzgerald] did get a phone call from Speaker Sheridan, so I would say they are off on a good start,” said Jim Bender, spokesperson for Fitzgerald. “Communication can solve a lot of hills. They need to be able to communicate and work well together.”

According to Bender, Republicans will have few problems working with Democrats in the upcoming legislative session, as the major concern is the economy and helping Wisconsin grow.

Bender added Democrats could only face resistance if they propose increasing taxes, which is something Assembly Republicans are against.

“We must begin to restore the trust that the people of Wisconsin once had in their government,” Sheridan said. “We have set the bar high for ourselves, but I know that we are up to the challenge.”