Victorious local Democrats revel

Local Democratic leaders celebrated Tuesday night as the news came that Barack Obama would become the 44th president of the United States.

Gov. Jim Doyle, Rep. Tammy Baldwin, and Mayor Dave Cieslewicz were among the group of Democratic leaders at Monona Terrace Tuesday night at an event sponsored by the Democratic Party of Wisconsin.

With speeches from political leaders, performances by local bands and screens set up around the room, Democrats of Madison watched in anticipation as CNN announced results from across the nation.

At 8:01 p.m., news sources announced Obama was projected to win Wisconsin. At 10:01 p.m., Obama received more than 270 electoral votes, making him the next president of the United States. Shortly after that, Republican presidential nominee John McCain gave his concession speech.

“We showed them … when people from all over the state, all walks of life, young and old, black and white join around a great cause, the cause of change, cause of bringing new leadership to the United States and behind an incredible leader, Barack Obama,” Doyle said.

Doyle addressed the elated crowd shortly after Obama won Wisconsin, supporting him as an incredible leader and the president-elect of the United States.

Doyle talked about the great perils that face our country today, adding with Obama as president, he will face challenges like never before but will undo the political unrest caused by the Republicans over the past eight years.

“I had the great privilege this year … to vote for a remarkable person, a man of incredible vision, of incredible inspirational abilities who has fought for the American people, and that is what people in Wisconsin saw,” Doyle said. “They saw a great leader, a leader who has transcended all the vision in this country.”

Baldwin also spoke to the crowd after winning Wisconsin’s 2nd congressional district for the sixth time in a row. She spoke not only in appreciation of her re-election, but also in excitement of Obama’s victory.

“I look to the future with hope and optimism. … Our nation is electing Barack Obama to be our next president and leader and our agent of change,” Baldwin said. “I also find hope in the future in the fact that Americans decided in this election that we are going to reclaim our democracy.”

Baldwin added she was impressed with the level of voter participation in the state. When asked if she looked forward to working with Obama, she said, “You better believe it, or as Sarah Palin would say, ‘You bet’cha!'”

After CNN announced Obama’s victory, the crowd of hundreds of Obama supports erupted in cheers and screams, throwing popcorn and confetti in the air as the lights flashed in celebration.

“Because of Barack Obama’s great ability to unite the people of this country, there are not red states and blue states; he has led a campaign that has brought us together into the United States of America,” Doyle said.