Student groups rally for green cause

[media-credit name=’DEBBIE LI/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Power-vote_DL[/media-credit]

In collaboration with the Wisconsin Student Public Interest Research Group, Power Vote held a petition-signing rally in Library Mall at the University of Wisconsin Monday.

Student volunteers and leaders from WISPIRG and Power Vote, a non-partisan group that advocates for clean energy, asked passing students to sign a pledge, which stated they will vote and elevate the issue of climate change in the upcoming election, said Power Vote Organizer Susan Hildebrand.

UW alumnus Jessy Tolkan, the national director of Power Vote, spoke about the upcoming election, while model wind turbines and free bagels and pastries for students were offered on the windy afternoon.

Although Power Vote is not affiliated with any specific party, they are targeting a specific group of voters.

“We’re targeting young voters,” Hildebrand said. “They care about the economy, they care about the environment, and they care about stopping wars over foreign oil, and that’s who we’re talking to.”

Hildebrand stressed that Power Vote was not interested in naming one candidate more desirable on the issue of environmental change.

“That’s not out concern,” Hildebrand said. “We’re looking at elevating this issue. … Both candidates need to be moving in the right direction on this issue.”

Power Vote hopes to gather more than 4,500 pledges at UW, said Frances Tsukano, a student coordinator of Power Vote. In their effort to achieve this goal, Power Vote has organized dorm storms, class raps and petitioning every day up to the election, among other things, she said.

“UW-Madison really is leading the way in trying to engage as many students on campus as possible,” she said.

Tolkan added Power Vote hopes to make a statement about the youth vote as whole.

“We anticipate a record turnout of young voters on Nov. 4, and we want to send a message … that young people are not just turning out to vote for a candidate, they’re turning out to vote on a platform of addressing global climate change,” Tolkan said.

Tolkan said students can make a statement by voting.

“If you’re a student and you want to make sure you’re doing all you can to fight for clean and just energy, you should definitely vote on Nov. 4, first and foremost,” she said.