Wisconsin will be just fine without Guard, officials say

Despite deploying the largest number of troops a since World War II a few weeks ago, state officials said Wednesday Wisconsin would adapt to the absence of over one-third National Guard’s 32nd Infantry Division leaves for Iraq sometime next year.

The deployment of the 32nd Infantry Brigade, the largest unit in the Wisconsin National Guard, will follow a month-long training period at Fort Bliss, Texas.

Tim Stumm, spokesperson for Gov. Jim Doyle, said the deployment would not impact the Guard’s ability to respond to crises within the state.

“The deployment affects every city and town in the state,” he said. “But Wisconsin will still be prepared for anything even though its largest division will be overseas.”

Stumm encouraged Wisconsin citizens to give the troops the support they deserve.

“The governor believes we all owe a debt of gratitude to all those who have served,” Stumm said. “Our troops embody the ideals of selflessness and humility.”

The Guard responds to both state and national emergencies, including assistance in Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina in 2005 and Hurricane Ike earlier this year.

Since last June, the Guard has been providing disaster relief in communities throughout the state when floods ravaged southern and central parts of the state.

Lt. Col. Tim Donovan, public affairs director for the Wisconsin National Guard, said the 32nd Brigade will be mobilized sometime in mid-February of 2009 and deployed some time thereafter.

“They will be deployed to several regions in mid-Iraq, from Baghdad on south,” Donovan said.

He added they would be performing “security-related duties” but did not specify what those duties entail.

Donovan said the deployment would be a formidable challenge for the unit.

“What we’ve got coming up in the next 16 months is a really big deal,” Donovan said.

The 32nd Brigade, based in Camp Douglas, will be accompanied by six other units from throughout the state in their mission to Iraq.

In total, there are 10,000 men and women serving in the Wisconsin National Guard.