Doyle would likely turn down cabinet

Gov. Jim Doyle said Wednesday he does not expect an offer to join Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama in Washington, D.C. should Obama be elected president in November.

Doyle has never expected to be included in a presidential cabinet in the past and has no expectations of being asked to join the presidential cabinet for the next administration following this November’s presidential election, according to Doyle spokesperson Carla Vigue.

“The governor has said many times that the best job he can have is to be the governor of Wisconsin,” Vigue said.

She added Doyle currently has no ambitions to pursue a job outside of the state of Wisconsin and is not sure whether he would accept a job in the cabinet if he were offered one. Instead, Doyle looks for a change in the administration in Washington D.C.

“What I really want out of this election is I want to be a governor of a state that can call up the White House and actually talk to people there about doing things,” Doyle told The Badger Herald in a previous interview. “I can get a lot more done as governor of Wisconsin than in the federal government.”

Doyle also said it is too early to speak seriously about who will be a part of Obama’s cabinet. He added he was superstitious and believes too much planning about what to do following a possible win in the election would result in a loss for Obama.

Last week, Doyle also made no promises about whether he will serve his full term as governor of Wisconsin when asked at a press conference on Oct. 15.

“I’m a healthy guy, but God willing, I am. I wish I could promise that,” Doyle said.

Phil Walzak, Wisconsin communications director for the Obama campaign, would not comment on the likelihood of Doyle’s invitation to join the presidential cabinet and offered no information about other prospective politicians to join Obama in Washington D.C. if he is elected in November.

— Carl Jaeger contributed to this report.