UW Band to play for Packers

The University of Wisconsin Band will travel to Green Bay this Sunday as scheduled after allegations of hazing from the band’s trip to the University of Michigan put the Lambeau Field appearance in question.

Band Director Mike Leckrone and the Offices of the Dean of Students came to the decision Wednesday but made several changes in policy to prevent any future problems.

Members will be seated at random to prevent separation by instrument and class, a quiet bus will be made available for students who want to study and all initiation activities will be strictly forbidden.

Leckrone said the changes were made in discussions with band members and ODOS.

“The best thing to come out of it is an attitude and awareness that there has to be more individual responsibility,” Leckrone said.

The band will play at halftime at the game between the Green Bay Packers and the Indianapolis Colts at 3:15 p.m. Sunday. Buses will immediately return to Madison, and there will be no overnight stay.

Drum major and UW junior Jon Alfuth said he acknowledges the problems and will work to fix them in the future.

“Positive changes have been instituted over the past two years, and progress has been made,” Alfuth said in a statement. “However, we recognize the need for ongoing improvements. A focus on our overall culture is one way to channel our energy.”

During a recent trip to Michigan, members allegedly hazed other members by forcing them to kneel down and bite a summer sausage, banishing them to the back of the bus and playing a game called “Door No. 3,” in which students were forced to take lingerie off a male band member.

Leckrone said he is “encouraged” about the future of the band program and hopes students have acknowledged responsibility isn’t all on his shoulders.

“I think part of it is the students have finally realized that they have to do a lot of their own oversight, and they have to do it because we are a very large group,” Leckrone said.

The band is not scheduled to make any more trips this year, except for a possible bowl game.

ODOS officials declined to comment Wednesday.

— Pedro Oliveira Jr. contributed to this report.