State Democrats praise Obama health care plan

Health care reform has been an issue at the forefront of both presidential nominees’ campaigns and continues to be a source of contention and heated debate as the election draws nearer to a close.

On Saturday, state and national representatives of the Democratic Party gathered at the Obama Campaign Center for Change to kick off renewed canvassing efforts put forth by volunteers.

State Sen. Jon Erpenbach, D-Waunakee, began the event by briefly introducing the problems with obtaining quality health care.

“There are around 47 million people uninsured, and even more that are underinsured,” Erpenbach said. “What needs to happen is that we need to make sure health care is affordable, and the only way to do that is through health care and health insurance reform.”

U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison, spoke on behalf of Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama’s potential health care and health insurance reform initiatives, especially citing the problems with Republican presidential nominee John McCain’s reform ideas.

“This is a central issue to Wisconsinites. … We are in a crisis,” Baldwin said. “Sen. McCain’s plan fails to deal with the crisis.”

Baldwin also remarked on the need for tougher regulations for insurance companies, emphasizing the absence of such oversight under McCain’s plan.

“We regulate [insurance companies] because we want to make sure we are protecting consumers and protecting patients,” Baldwin said.

Volunteers and members of the Democratic Party at the Madison headquarters were stirred by Baldwin’s words and enthusiasm about continuing their efforts on behalf of the Democratic Party and Obama.

Adam Vandelaarschot, a UW senior, was excited about hearing Erpenbach and Baldwin.

“[As a canvasser,] this is really motivating. What we’re trying to do here is get out the vote and get as many students registered as possible, and hearing from the congresswoman and events like these are always great,” Vandelaarschot said.

Volunteers from outside the campus community showed their support as well.

Matt Furlow, a student at West High School in Madison and an active volunteer for the Democratic Party, recognized the importance of party support.

“I don’t necessarily agree with Sen. Obama’s plan completely; I feel like state oversight would be more effective as opposed to national regulations, but you can’t expect to completely agree with a candidate all the time, and I don’t believe Sen. McCain’s plan is good,” Furlow said.

In her final remarks, Baldwin encouraged volunteers to reach as many people as possible, noting the importance of Wisconsin as a state and as part of a nation in crisis, saying, “We have some epic challenges ahead of us.”

According to Students for McCain Co-Chair Allison Nelson, McCain’s plan for reform includes “putting health care back in the hands of the people.”

McCain wants employers to give the money they would usually spend on health care coverage directly to their employees so they can choose the best health care plan for their families.

“If your family doesn’t spend the amount of money given, that money goes into a health care savings account if in future, someone gets illness or something catastrophic happens, you will have that money saved up to be able to spend,” Nelson added.

According to Nelson, this should increase competition and decrease prices without decreasing the quality of health care.