Construction to last until 2013

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Construction_BC[/media-credit]

Frequenters of downtown Madison will not be able to celebrate the completion of State Street construction for long, as city planners met Thursday to discuss various construction projects that will last until 2013.

The State Street Design Project Oversight Committee met to discuss the design of the Gilman Street reconstruction project, the next step in the ongoing process to improve the look of the downtown area.

If the committee’s budget permits, State Street’s surrounding side streets will be reconstructed in separate phases through 2013, said Planning, Community and Economical Development agent Bill Fruhling.

“University Avenue is going to be a major undertaking for us next year,” said Chris Petykowski from the Department of Public Works’ Engineering Division, adding the committee is looking to start a large reconstruction project of University Avenue in 2009.

Fruhling said the reconstruction projects will continue through 2013 with new projects each year.

During 2009, reconstruction will begin on the section of Gilman Street stretching from University Avenue to Henry Street. In 2010, the committee plans to redo Broom, Gorham and Henry streets where they intersect with State Street.

In 2011, the committee will continue road construction with the renovation of Johnson and Henry streets south of State Street. In 2012, they will complete Frances Street between Langdon Street and Concrete Park. Library Mall should get its facelift in 2013

“State Street has always been State Street,” said Fruhling. “The reconstruction of its side streets will create more of a district feel instead of just a skinny street.”

The project proposes adding four new trees and 21 new tree grates along Gilman Street between State Street and University Avenue, Fruhling said.

Downtown Coordinating Commission Representative Chair Ted Crabb suggested a motion, which was passed, for aggregate border around the trees, so the sidewalks will match the new State Street sidewalks.

These renovations would be all along Gilman Street, including its intersection with Frances Street and University Avenue.

Committee members discussed placing plantar tubs on the street corners but ultimately decided they may be at risk of being destroyed.