Wiley leaves with a bang

[media-credit name=’ANDREW SCHORR/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Wiley1_AndrewSchorr[/media-credit]

Former Chancellor John Wiley went out with a bang — as well as a song, dance and symphony — at “An Evening of Celebration,” held at the Overture Center for the Arts Monday night.

The student performance showcase benefiting student artists at the University of Wisconsin honored Wiley and wife Georgia Wiley, featured seven acts by UW students, and was followed by closing remarks highlighting Wiley’s achievements as chancellor.

UW System President Kevin Reilly praised Wiley’s accomplishments during his tenure as chancellor, many of which resulted from Wiley’s dedication to the UW community and the state of Wisconsin. Reilly stressed the importance of keeping the vision of the newly proclaimed chancellor emeritus alive. 

“Never ever in the 12 years [we worked together] did I ever have the feeling that it was about John making a point to boost his own ego, that it was about John proving that he was the smartest person in the room,” Reilly said. “It was always about what is best for the University of Wisconsin-Madison, what is best for the UW system, what is best for our students, faculty and staff.”

Reilly’s sentiments were echoed by UW System Board of Regents President Mark Bradley, who applauded Wiley’s vision for a better Wisconsin recognized through sustained support of university research and an increase in the number of Wisconsin residents holding bachelor degrees. 

“John’s legacy is going to be his vision as a leader, his vision for our Wisconsin needs to prosper in the 21st century,” Bradley said.

The event closed with Wiley inviting Chancellor Biddy Martin on stage to announce $20 million in promised donations to UW for a new music performance hall slated for building at University Avenue and Lake Street.

Wiley said the funding, given by two anonymous donors, will aid the ongoing redevelopment of East Campus Mall, adding the building will occupy the area currently housing low storefronts between Lake and Murray Streets.

The large gift, Martin said, came as a result of Wiley’s hard work and dedication, and may inspire others to donate. 

“These sorts of gifts spur other giving for the areas in the arts and humanities,” Martin said. “They will definitely be an incitement for others to give.”

But Wiley was not the only one celebrated at the two-hour-long event, as student performers were introduced by the former chancellor as “the stars of the future.”

Monday night marked the third “Evening of Celebration” event, which was originally developed to show the achievements of UW music and arts students.

“This is a perfect opportunity to give our students the chance to be seen and heard in the Madison community,” Wiley said, adding he hopes the series will continue. 

The showcase began with the University Symphony Orchestra playing Aaron Copland’s “Fanfare for the Common Man” and “Overture to Candide” by Leonard Bernstein.

Other performances included scenes from Toni Morrison’s “The Bluest Eye” and the musical “Urinetown.”

The program also included two dance performances: “ETA Movements,” performed by students in the UW School of Dance, and “Pulse,” a rhythmic African dance featuring live drumming and chanting performed by students of an African dance class. 

The showcase ended with a medley of Wisconsin-themed songs — including “On Wisconsin” and “Sweet Caroline” — usually reserved for football Saturdays. Members of Madhatters, Tangled Up in Blue, Redefined and Fundamentally Sound finished their performance with a rendition of “Varsity,” during which audience members put their arms around each other, swayed and sang along.