Wisconsin No. 2 bicycle-friendly state

Wisconsin was named the No. 2 most bicycle-friendly state in the nation Monday in the first annual rankings by the League of American Bicyclists.

Elizabeth Kiker, the league’s director of communications, said the state stood out from the rest of the nation for a number of reasons, including the state’s increased use of federal funding for cycling programs. 

Model policies have also been enacted in Wisconsin, such as a five-foot clearing after rumble strips, which alerts drivers to potential danger but can be very difficult for bikers to ride over.

The award will hopefully bring more recognition to Wisconsin as a great place to ride a bicycle, according to Brian Conger, statewide outreach coordinator of the Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin.

“This award just tells us what we have always known all along, that we really have a gem,” Conger said. “Everyone is always talking about Portland when it comes to biking; this will get public recognition for Wisconsin as a great place to ride a bicycle.”

The rankings were determined by a 75-part survey for each state in six different areas, according to Kiker.

“Legislation, policies and programs, infrastructure, education and encouragement, evaluation and planning and enforcement are all assigned a numerical value to determine the rankings,” Kiker said.

In addition to Wisconsin earning second place, Madison was named Wisconsin’s most bicycle-friendly community and was awarded gold medal honors. 

The decision was based on five components including recognition for excellence in engineering, encouragement, enforcement and evaluation. Madison excelled in four of those areas.

“Madison has excellent policies and provides a lot of encouragement for bikers,” Kiker said. “Even despite the weather, people like to bike there year-round, and Madison does a good job of clearing trails and roads so bikers can continue to ride.”

University of Wisconsin Cycling Club Vice President Jessie Duppler agreed that the city is a great place to bike.

“It’s great that Madison is so forward-thinking and is so accommodating to bikers,” Duppler said.

The UW Cycling Club is comprised of 120 students with interests ranging from racing bikes to casual riders. However, it is not only the cycling club members who appreciate Madison’s friendliness to bikers.

“It’s fun to bike to class,” said UW sophomore Adam Tierney. “Especially this time of year when the sidewalks are so busy, it’s nice to go through the streets. University is a great street to bike on; it has such big, luxurious bike lanes.”

Washington state finished first in the rankings.

While the Bike Federation of Wisconsin is very happy with Wisconsin’s rating and Madison’s recognition, they believe Wisconsin still has more to accomplish.

“It is a great achievement, but we still have more to do,” Conger said. “That number two shows us that there is still more work to be done, and we will keep working to make Wisconsin a better place to bike.”

Is it the five-foot clearing or rumble strips that are difficult for bikers?