Ex-mayor returns to teaching at UW

After a six-year break from teaching, former Madison Mayor Paul Soglin is revisiting a passion for teaching as an adjunct associate professor at the University of Wisconsin’s La Follette School of Public Affairs.

Soglin is instructing a public management course intended for students working on master’s degrees in public administration. The course also occasionally enrolls other graduate students from schools such as the School of Education or the School of Business.

After experiencing a heightened desire to teach, Soglin said he sought out a position as an instructor at UW yet again.

Soglin said after hearing the La Follette School was seeking help for additional lecturers due to various leaves and changes in assignments, he promptly returned an application.

“I missed the teaching the last couple of years,” Soglin said. “It is one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done.”

According to Carolyn Heinrich, director of the La Follette School of Public Affairs, Soglin is not technically an adjunct associate professor yet, but his appointment could be approved any day.

Soglin previously taught the public management course from 1997 to 2002, in addition to five other courses, but he does not anticipate instructing any additional courses this time around.

During his six terms as mayor, Soglin achieved various goals, including oversight and execution of a $140 million annual budget as well as supervision of the construction of State Street Mall and Capital Concourse, according to Heinrich.

Soglin said the breadth of knowledge he attained while serving as mayor has allowed him to apply his experience to his lectures and teaching methods.

“I have got real-world experience in managing. I have been involved in projects ranging from the transformation of the city of Madison to some of the work I did with budgeting standards,” Soglin said. “All of that has contributed.”