Charter to carry Big Ten Network

Charter Communications, Madison’s largest cable provider, has reached an agreement with the Big Ten Network, officials announced Wednesday.

The agreement comes two days after Time Warner announced it would offer the network as part of its expanded basic cable package. Comcast started carrying BTN earlier this summer.

In a joint statement, BTN and Charter said they are working to launch the network on its expanded basic level of service in time for Saturday’s Big Ten college football openers.

According to Charter spokesperson John Miller, the equipment needed to add the network would come directly from Fox, making it challenging for Charter engineers to finish setting up the channel by Saturday.

“Our engineers are the best, though, and they will do everything possible to make that happen,” he added.

Miller said BTN will be on expanded basic cable this year but will re-evaluate the best place to position the channel.

Updates regarding a specific channel and timeline for adding BTN to Charter line-ups in each area are forthcoming, Miller added.

Last year BTN carried five Badger football games and the first two games of the season are scheduled to air on the network.