Nobody steps up to be fall ASM chair

A candidate for chair of the Associated Students of Madison has yet to step up to the plate and accept the substantial responsibilities required by the position, as announced Monday evening at a Student Council meeting.

Jeff Wright, a College of Letters and Science representative nominated at last Thursday’s SC meeting for the chair, declined to accept the position yesterday evening citing time commitment concerns.

“The job description calls for 20 hours per week, but it is really a full-time job,” Wright said. “I think quite a few people expected me to accept the nomination, which is heartening. But, I did not want to accept [the position] out of a sense of obligation or duty to ASM. Right now I think I am being responsible in taking a look at my time commitments for next year.”

Representatives discussed appointing an interim-chair for the summer term but ultimately voted the proposal down due to concerns regarding the transition into the fall semester with a different chair.

“I am concerned about the transitional aspect,” said Benjamin Carter, Law School representative. “I think there will be a lot of transitions, and not a lot of working. If you are going to put the interim-chair in place, they need to be there the whole summer. But, I think it is really bad to vote on something when only half the body is here in the summer.”

According to Wright, Vice Chair Hannah Karns will assume administrative duties until a chair is appointed.

In addition to discussion of the chair appointment, Brittany Wiegand made a bylaw amendment to create a Press Office in place of the current Campus Relations Committee.

Pending a two-thirds vote at the Student Council meeting two weeks before the first day of fall 2008 classes, the new office will appoint five members to take charge of more specific duties to create more efficient press activity, according to Kurt Gosselin, College of Letters and Science representative.

“With having a committee where people are appointed and very knowledgeable, they will be able to be more active,” said Jessica Pavlic, College of Letters and Science representative. “We want everyone on the committee to be informed. It is open now, so anyone can come and sit on it.”

The issue of improvement proved to be a theme in the meeting as a constitutional committee was approved to revise the ASM constitution and make recommendations for the fall semester. The suggestions will include creating a presidential system and requiring the Student Council to approve all campaigns and initiatives of individual committees.

“I love this idea. It leads to a centralization of ideals and discussions,” Carter said. “But, the committee will fail if you do not buy in. Do not leave this to other people. More than anything this needs active involvement.”

Sol Grosskopf, outgoing chief justice of Student Judiciary, resigned as presiding chair and encouraged the ASM members to continue to work toward reform.

“I no longer have a strong political base in my courtroom,” Grosskopf said. “I would have preferred to carry this to the end, but the interest of the students must always come before me. There has been a lot of talk to reform, and I challenge you to make good on this one.”