University finally reveals vice provost for diversity

The University of Wisconsin expanded the vice provost for diversity and climate position Wednesday, naming Damon Williams to the job, ending a nine-month search process.

UW Provost Patrick Farrell announced the position that is responsible for diversity issues on campus will be a full-time position when Williams officially assumes the office.

When Williams’ predecessor Bernice Durand held the position before retiring in 2007, she split her time between vice provost and her faculty teaching position.

“From my view, it says we understand this is an ongoing challenge,” Farrell said of UW’s need to commit to promoting campus diversity. “We still have work to do. It’s difficult on every campus, and this campus is no different from others.”

Williams, currently the assistant vice provost for multicultural and international affairs at the University of Connecticut, was selected by Farrell and UW Chancellor John Wiley from a pool of three candidates named last November by a search and screen committee headed by UW African-American studies professor Michael Thornton.

The pool shrunk to just two when Kenneth Durgans accepted a position at Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis two weeks ago. Williams was selected over the third finalist, UW diversity education coordinator Seema Kapani.

Farrell said the decision was difficult because all the candidates were qualified, but Williams has experience researching organizational structures and how diversity offices work on large campuses like UW.

“He’s got a good perspective for what’s needed on large campuses like ours,” Farrell said. “He seems to have a good vision of how to make that work effectively.”

Williams said he is honored to have been selected for the position and believes the expansion of the position shows UW is serious about promoting diversity on campus.

“They have really dedicated energy and attention [to diversity] as a matter of first priority,” Williams said. “My office will be deeply engaged with the broader campus community to design programs. Being full-time enhances our ability to do this.”

Though Williams will not assume his position until August, he is already working on preparing his strategy and plans to make multiple trips before his official appointment to build relationships with the campus community and staff.

“Also, I’m putting together kind of a plan for myself, things I’d like to get involved in within the first 100 days of my appointment,” Williams said. “It’s good to have a game plan.”

Farrell said Williams’ first responsibility will be to acclimate himself to UW’s current efforts so the transition will be as smooth as possible.

“He has some ideas, and we’ve encouraged him to keep them in mind but to be patient and talk to the wide variety of people who already have a stake in the game,” Farrell said.

Williams will also have a zero-dollar clinical assistant position in the UW Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis. According to Williams, it was essential to him before accepting the vice provost position that he could continue to work on research in the education field.

Williams’ salary will be $150,000 per year.