Student barred from Bascom

A University of Wisconsin student was ordered to stay away from Bascom Hall Monday at an initial court appearance stemming from a February confrontation with a UW assistant dean.

Alan Dubrow, 20, has been charged with disorderly conduct in Dane County Circuit Court after a Feb. 21 incident in which he threatened UW Assistant Dean Ervin Cox with physical harm, saying, ?I want to kick his ass,? according to the criminal complaint filed against him.

According to Michael Herbert, Dubrow?s attorney who appeared in court on his behalf, Dubrow has been ordered by the court to stay away from Bascom Hall unless he has a class in the building, and he must not have any contact with Cox.

Assistant District Attorney Mike Verveer, who was present at the court appearance, said the criminal complaint filed against Dubrow says the altercation began when he entered the Offices of the Dean of Students on the afternoon of Feb. 21 and confronted Assistant Dean Kathleen Kruse.

The complaint says Dubrow assumed an aggressive stance and refused to leave when Kruse asked him to leave. He then went past Kruse and entered Cox?s office.

Once inside Cox?s office, Dubrow continued yelling and threatened Cox with physical harm. The University of Wisconsin Police Department was called in around 4:45 p.m., and Cox was arrested.

UWPD Lt. Eric Holen confirmed the claims of the criminal complaint matched the facts in the UWPD incident report, adding only that Dubrow was not arrested inside the building but was ?contacted by the police outside of the building.?

According to Herbert, the purpose of Monday?s initial court appearance was for Dubrow to have the charges read to him by the court. He said Dubrow has not entered a plea yet because the judge automatically enters a ?not guilty? plea for all defendants at these hearings.

Herbert said though Dubrow?s next court appearance has not been scheduled yet, but in similar cases this ?usually happens within 30 days or so.?

Dubrow was also granted a signature bond by the judge, Herbert said. He added this means Dubrow did not ?put down? any money but had to sign a paper promising to show up at his subsequent hearings.

Cox and Dubrow both declined to comment on the case.

Correction: Due to a reporting error, this article should not have said Assistant Dean Ervin Cox was arrested. We regret the error.