Search committee holds last forum

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Chancellor_JS[/media-credit]

University of Wisconsin?s Search and Screen Committee asked members of the university community Thursday afternoon what they desire in the next chancellor, with responses ranging from supporting environmentally friendly policies to improving faculty retention.

This was the last of a set of three forums scheduled to allow the committee to hear different viewpoints and ideas on what its members should be looking for in applicants in the upcoming months, according to Committee Chair Marsha Mailick-Seltzer.

?We?re trying to reach out to all corners of the campus and all types of participants,? Mailick-Seltzer said. ?We?ve had community members, students, faculty, staff? It?s very good for the committee to hear the concerns of the community.?

Mailick-Seltzer said she was impressed with the student turnout at Thursday?s forum compared to the other two sessions that took place over the last three weeks.

?I was inspired by the students today,? Mailick-Seltzer said. ?It?s very gratifying to be a part of this process.?

One student, UW senior Mitra Jalali said there is a need for an environmentally friendly chancellor because UW needs to invest in sustainable technology.

?I know that on a federal, national and global level [environmental issues are] highly politicized because it involves more macroscopic factors, but I would like to see a chancellor who is very openly in support of green policies,? Jalali said. ?I think it?s one of the best things we can do right now as a university for our reputation ? to take the lead in that area.?

UW sophomore Gabrielle Hinahara, a member of the Wisconsin Student Public Interest Research Group, told the committee it would be important to have a chancellor who would value student organizations.

?The leadership, organization and political skills I have gained through student organizations have been invaluable to me and have affected so many other students as well,? Hinahara said. ?We need a chancellor committed to working with students to make sure these organizations are funded.?

UW junior Adam Porton, a member of the Student Services Finance Committee, agreed with Hinahara.

?There are so many programs on campus that really augment the student experience,? Porton said. ?I just want to emphasize how much of a role the chancellor really does have in making sure the students feel they are involved on this campus through student organizations.?

Other topics brought up in the forum included ethics in animal research, balance between sustainable technology and fiscal responsibility, university-corporate relations, the importance of the arts, building safety and retaining faculty members.

UW System President Kevin Reilly said the forum process is key in understanding what different people on campus want in a chancellor.

?[The committee] is open to advice that anyone is willing to give,? Reilly said. ?I think the committee was wise in choosing to do three [forums] at different places and times of day.?

The deadline for nominations for the chancellor position is March 28. The committee will then review the applications and recommend five applicants to President Reilly and the Board of Regents.