Dems ready to support nominee

MILWAUKEE ? Wisconsin Democrats heard from their eventual nominee for president Saturday night in Milwaukee.

With both U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., and U.S. Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., headlining the Democratic Party of Wisconsin?s biggest fundraiser ever, several state leaders said the party could not go wrong with either.

Most Democratic state and national leaders from Wisconsin attended the event, some who endorsed Clinton or Obama and others who are staying neutral.

?This great state has the luxury of choosing not the lesser of two evils but between two exceptional, brilliant candidates, each of whom represents the opportunity for historic firsts,? said U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison, who endorsed Clinton last year.

U.S. Sen. Herb Kohl, D-Wis., said it is ?truly a shame? that Democrats have to choose between who he calls two fine candidates.

Kohl joked Wisconsin would really like to see a Brett Favre-Herb Kohl ticket in November.

Despite the Democratic Party?s enthusiasm, U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., said the presumed Republican candidate U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., will provide a challenge in November?s general election.

?This is tougher than beating Bush-Cheney, but it can be done,? Feingold said.

Feingold called on both candidates to support job creation, challenge the nation?s current foreign policy, guarantee health care for every citizen and support campaign finance reform, which he and McCain partnered on in the past.

The Democrats stood united around their disdain of President George W. Bush and disagreements with McCain.

?We need regime change,? said U.S. Rep. Gwen Moore, D-Milwaukee. ?And I?m not talking about regime change in Iraq. I?m talking about regime change right here at home, right here in the United States of America.?

Baldwin said the nation remains stuck in the ?wasteland of the Bush administration.?

United and divided

Several attendees, however, plotted their choices before the night began. Many people entered with Obama or Clinton buttons, and several Clinton supporters wore blue Hillary T-shirts to the event.

The crowd was torn, in some senses. While Clinton spoke, a table of Obama supporters sat through the speech, rolled their eyes at times and refrained from applauding. One man even got up to see what proportion of the crowd stood during a Clinton ovation.

When Obama took the stage, the same table stood up, applauded, whistled and took several pictures.

A nearby table of Clinton supporters also sat during Obama?s ovations and had much less enthusiasm for the other Democratic candidate.

The most notable divide came from the state?s top two leaders ? Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton, who introduced Clinton, and Gov. Jim Doyle, who welcomed Obama to the stage.

Lawton, Clinton?s Midwest co-chair, called Clinton ?the last true progressive in the race? and said several differences exist between her and Obama.

?It is her health care plan that uniquely and alone will drive us to universal health care,? Lawton said.

Throughout the campaign, Clinton promotes herself as the candidate ?ready to lead from day one,? and Lawton echoed that.

?This is a woman who anticipates her role as commander in chief with wise and careful decisions,? Lawton said, adding Clinton is ?ready to get this nation back on track.?

Doyle, who traveled around the state with Obama in recent days, praised Obama for not ?picking and choosing states? to target during the primary season and instead going from one state to the next.

The governor feels inspired by Obama, he said.

?This is an extraordinary time, and we are so lucky in this extraordinary time to have an extraordinary candidate emerge,? Doyle said. ?This is a person of great character, of great accomplishment.?

But Lawton said when the party has a final nominee, Obama and Clinton are ?two people all of us would support.? Doyle promised Wisconsin would go Democratic again in the 2008 general election as it did for John Kerry in 2004 and Al Gore in 2000.

Obama and Clinton face off in Wisconsin?s presidential primary tomorrow.