Candidates gear up for the big day

MILWAUKEE ? The two Democratic candidates for president appeared at the same dinner in Milwaukee Saturday, targeting the important Wisconsin delegation leading up to Tuesday?s primary.

U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., and U.S. Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., both set out to distinguish themselves from one another while attacking the Republican Party.

The two served as keynote speakers at the Democratic Party of Wisconsin?s annual Founders? Day Dinner.

Clinton targeted Obama?s overwhelming message of change, saying a promise of change does not necessarily guarantee results.

?Change is going to happen,? Clinton said. ?The question is, are we going to get the right kind of change, because I?m not interested in change for the sake of change, but progress.?

The former first lady also went after Obama?s abilities as an orator and his message of hope.

?It will take more than just speeches to fulfill our dreams,? Clinton said to applause. ?It will take a lot of hard work.?

For his part, Obama associated Clinton with the type of Washington politics he says needs to dramatically adjust.

Throughout the campaign, Clinton has traveled the nation on her ?Solutions for America? tour, a theme Obama targeted.

?All of us should be in the solutions business, but all too often it ends up being business as usual,? Obama said.

Both Obama and Clinton slammed President George W. Bush?s administration, stressing the need for change after the past seven years. Obama said it was a ?letdown? when he found out Vice President Dick Cheney is a distant cousin of his.

Going after McCain, Clinton called the Republican ?a good man with the wrong ideas? while Obama said, ?When you spend too much time in Washington, the wheels on the Straight Talk Express spin off.?

Both Iraq and health care served as the candidates? main issues to bring to the table, prompting the candidates to distinguish themselves from the other.

The candidates, though, share similar views on the current issues facing the war in Iraq. Clinton promised to start bringing troops home within 60 days of taking office and take care of them when they arrive back home.

?I think when young men enlist and sign up to serve America, we sign up to serve them,? Clinton said.

But in 2003, Clinton voted to authorize the Iraqi invasion, while Obama said he opposed the war from the beginning, pledging to bring it to an end if he makes it to the White House.

While both political parties spar over the war, Clinton said health care can be the issue that helps the Democrats win in November?s general election.

?I?m the only candidate left in your party with a plan to cover every single American,? Clinton said.

Obama, prepared to refute Clinton, said health insurance affordability is the reason not all Americans have it, pledging to bring down costs.

Polls in Wisconsin show Obama with a slight lead right now leading into Tuesday, but the two candidates are still ranking within several polls? margin of error.

Clinton told voters they will not have an easy choice as they head to the polls Tuesday, but added, ?It?s a good problem to have.?

Tuesday?s winner will grab delegates and momentum leading into March 4 primaries in Texas and Ohio.